National Geographic magazine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Me again. As I'm about to move I have to reduce some of my treasure. I have every copy of National Geographic magazine since Jan 68 until Dec 15. I have all the maps and extra stuff they came with. I know some are more collectable than others. Does anyone here collect or know of a tried and tested company/people that give accurate information? I have looked at the internet but so much guff and non specific info.

si_c

Guru
Damn, I inherited my Grandfather's collection when he died in 2012, there are a few missing that he lent out over the years and never got back though.

Shame to part with them all imo.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I know the moon landing one for example is North of 200 quid apparently! Providing it is all there. It is so hard getting accurate prices. I even thought of using the wonderful photos to paper the hall with but it seems like sacrilege to such lovely magazines. I would never just chuck them.

si_c

Guru
I know the moon landing one for example is North of 200 quid apparently! Providing it is all there. It is so hard getting accurate prices. I even thought of using the wonderful photos to paper the hall with but it seems like sacrilege to such lovely magazines. I would never just chuck them.

My Dad was just going to chuck them, he wasn't interested in keeping them at all and couldn't understand why I'd want them. Took a big chunk of his books too.

tyred

Legendary Member
I can't help you but your post reminded me of when I was at secondary school and was involved in working in the school library there was a complete collection of them from the early 1950s up to the (then) present day (mid 1990s).

When the head English teacher retired, the running of the library was taken over by his replacement who wanted a clear out so all the National Geographic magazines, countless other magazines, books, old text books, vinyl copies of radio productions of Shakespearean plays and God only knows what other stuff was unceremoniously taken to the corner of the football pitch and burned by the caretaker. :cry:

They refused to let anyone take anything. There were many old books and thinks I would have liked to have taken.:wacko:

si_c

Guru
Worth checking what you have.

Not particularly interested in figuring out the value of it all it's not something I plan on getting rid of ever - I did have a subscription myself for a couple of years, but the quality of output seems to have taken a nosedive. They're currently occupying a bookshelf in my office and hopefully will do until I die and they become somebody else's problem.

si_c

Guru
I can't help you but your post reminded me of when I was at secondary school and was involved in working in the school library there was a complete collection of them from the early 1950s up to the (then) present day (mid 1990s).

When the head English teacher retired, the running of the library was taken over by his replacement who wanted a clear out so all the National Geographic magazines, countless other magazines, books, old text books, vinyl copies of radio productions of Shakespearean plays and God only knows what other stuff was unceremoniously taken to the corner of the football pitch and burned by the caretaker. :cry:

They refused to let anyone take anything. There were many old books and thinks I would have liked to have taken.:wacko:
That's just criminal.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
So sad! I know the pre war ones are sought after as well apparently.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Having been considering culling personal memorabilia including books, photos, maps, sets of 'encyclopedias', journals and the like recently, the notion of 'value' came to mind.
Not particularly interested in figuring out the value of it all it's not something I plan on getting rid of ever
Can I ask why keep them forever? What is their value for you?

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Research, sentiment and the old advertising of doctors recommending fags brands to patients and cars with huge tail fins, huge 'portable in the broadest sense of the word' cine cameras.

Top Bottom