National Wear a Christmas Jumper day on Friday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
In that case I'm staying indoors, alone, all day....

Sandra6

Veteran
We're wearing Christmas jumpers all week at work.
Well, mine are Christmas t-shirts actually. I'm sporting the coca cola truck as we speak.
Generally I wear a "team Santa" top and my stripy socks.
I quite like it.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Please tell me the real meaning of Christmas then? It'll be interesting to see if you go along the pagan traditions or the post imposed Christian traditions?
Either one is more meaningful than a garish jumper. No further comment from me, because I refuse to rise to your baiting.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's amazing what crap people will dream up for how not to represent the real meaning of Christmas.

Oh do give over

We're a largely secular society. The link between Christmas and religion has evaporated for most people. Christmas these days is a nice holiday when we overindulge a bit and hopefully be nice to each other and think of those less fortunate than ourselves. Wearing a funny jumper whilst raising money for a worthwhile charity fits right in

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
That's one theory about why December 25 was chosen in 338AD - and it's a commonly held one, although it actually has little basis, other than Saturnalia and the solstice happening to occur around the time.

It's more likely that Pope Julius I declared 25 December as the day on which the birth of Christ would be celebrated as it happened to coincide with Hannukah - the Jewish festival of light - and Christ was considered the light of the world.
And Christianity, at least in its more flamboyant forms, has a penchant for dressing up in colourful gear for Christmas.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Hmmm... in the RC and Anglican church it's white for Christmas.
White or gold for the C of E, which doesn't preclude spectacular multi-coloured embroidery. And a procession is a good excuse for a cope. Which is just a good excuse for covering a piece of cloth in as much bling as you can fit on.

Top Bottom