National Wear a Christmas Jumper day on Friday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's one theory about why December 25 was chosen in 338AD - and it's a commonly held one, although it actually has little basis, other than Saturnalia and the solstice happening to occur around the time.

It's more likely that Pope Julius I declared 25 December as the day on which the birth of Christ would be celebrated as it happened to coincide with Hannukah - the Jewish festival of light - and Christ was considered the light of the world.

Oh I think Jesus The Christ was a lot less peaceful than you think.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've decided to join in the fun and invested in a festive jumper

tesco-christmas-jumper.jpg

subaqua

What’s the point
We are allowing this with a donation to the Trust charity

Basic hygiene rules such as "Naked below the elbow" still apply though
My elbows are just above my waist:ohmy:

subaqua

What’s the point
Presents are Christian - it's the Epiphany story (the three wise men bring presents to the infant Jesus). Feasting is universal, and the whole of Christianity is built around a symbolic feast. Trees and mistletoe, as Reg points out, are Victorian imports from Germany. And winter solstice festivities are universal, dating back way into prehistory.

"Paganism" as we know it today is basically a Victorian invention. It's an embellishment of a misunderstanding of Roman texts about druids applied to a word that means "not to do with a city", and came to mean simply "not Christian".
I would imagine Mary would have appreciated nappies , baby wipes and some 2month plus clothes more than what they give her. ;)

I would imagine Mary would have appreciated nappies , baby wipes and some 2month plus clothes more than what they give her. ;)
Reminds me of an old one:

What would have been different if they were three Wise Women

1. They would have asked for directions.
2. They would have arrived on time.
3. They would have helped deliver the baby.
4. They would have cleaned the stable.
5. They would have made a casserole.
6. They would have brought practical gifts.

Top Bottom