Navigation device or Smartphone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
i was just about to push the button on a Elemnt or Edge820 when I thought do I really need this. Is there a phone app that does the same job? I really just need it for turn by turn directions and points of interest for touring in Europe. I’m aware of the battery life issue but are there any other drawbacks to using a phone?

Osmand does turn by turn from its own route or your gpx, off line. Actually speaks the turns instead of just beeping.

That's on Android. I believe iPhone version lags in features.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Personally I would go for a GPS unit of some sort. I could list a few reasons but right at the top by a mile is the battery life issue.

Have you considered the Edge Touring or Touring Plus. I bought my son one and was impressed by it. All the navigation and recording of the 820 but none of the bells and whistles. Not sure if you can add an SD Card with maps on the Touring models.

pclay

Veteran
Battery life and waterproof-ness are the main advantages of a GPS cycle computer. If you can overcome these two issues, then a phone is probably better, provided you can get a mount, and off-line maps or a data connection.

dickyknees

Guru
As Dogtrousers says, both.

A related issue to battery life is separation of function. I don't particularly want to lose my GPS tracking and navigation (due to running out of power) but if it happens, it happens - tough luck. However I really don't want to lose the ability to make phone calls. On the other hand, if I'm out of signal range I want to be able to continue to navigate, so offline maps are a must. By having two separate devices I can manage the two risks independently. If it's all in the phone and you lose one device, you've lost the lot.
Another point, as @pclay says, is robustness. GPS are designed to sit on your bars in all weathers, phones aren't.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I use both. GPS for main navigation, with phone for backup or to look for alternative routes if I change my mind when out. I have all-UK OS mapping on my phone at all scales from 1:10,000 to 1:250,000 so I don't need a phone signal. I don't have a phone bar mount though, so navigating a complex route could involve lots of stops and starts when consulting the phone.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't have a phone bar mount though, so navigating a complex route could involve lots of stops and starts when consulting the phone.
Use voice prompts. Only have to stop if it's very noisy.

XC26

Cost and personal preference, I suppose. There will usually be a workaround for most issues. For example, if you prefer to use your smartphone, carry a juice-pod (spare battery pack) for battery life worries on longer rides; a waterproof case for wet rides, etc. Personally, I use my iPhone for navigation, be it driving, cycling or walking. This is because I don’t want to invest in a relatively expensive separate device, with limited capabilities, given that I already have a device that will serve the same purpose and also do much, much more besides.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The Element Bolt is excellent. My other device is a Garmin Touring . I have had lots of Garmin Devices but they are not a patch on the Bolt. Maybe now Garmin will start getting their act together.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Element Bolt is excellent. My other device is a Garmin Touring . I have had lots of Garmin Devices but they are not a patch on the Bolt. Maybe now Garmin will start getting their act together.
I think you'll be waiting a very long time. They have been beta testing all their devices on punters since way back. They wont change that.

Tin Pot

Guru
i was just about to push the button on a Elemnt or Edge820 when I thought do I really need this. Is there a phone app that does the same job? I really just need it for turn by turn directions and points of interest for touring in Europe. I’m aware of the battery life issue but are there any other drawbacks to using a phone?

Have a gander at a map before setting off, use a phone as back up. Surely you want scenic routes rather than quickest?

Otherwise I use iPhone and iwatch with Maps.

Have a gander at a map before setting off, use a phone as back up. Surely you want scenic routes rather than quickest?

Otherwise I use iPhone and iwatch with Maps.

Not sure of the logic of this ... just because I use a GPS, a Wahoo Elemnt in my case it does mean my routes of choice are only the quickest or not scenic. I choose a route that suits what I am doing, touring, audax, communting, running an errand etc.

What I do use the Wahoo Elemnt alot for is to route me on a pre-planned route which I have set up in RideWithGPS. For example my Esperance to Albany Coastal Cruise in less than two weeks which involves 10 days of remote riding on beaches and hopefully still ridable 4WD tracks and the like. Nothing fast about the ride, more scenic and well survival :smile:

Top Bottom