Navigation device or Smartphone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've pre-ordered a Hammerhead Karoo, not due to be delivered until Spring next year as I was a little late to the party so will be a while until I get my hands on it. Early reviews seem quite positive and it's cheaper than the Garmin alternative but we shall see.
sorry, I don't get this. You've ordered something that doesn't really exist yet?
Rather reminds me of buying houses/flats "off plan". I remember being told by an estate agent I was so old fashioned for wanting to see something first.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
sorry, I don't get this. You've ordered something that doesn't really exist yet?
Rather reminds me of buying houses/flats "off plan". I remember being told by an estate agent I was so old fashioned for wanting to see something first.
It does exist - they just haven't made many of them yet! :okay:

Yes i see that they are in the "ramping up" production phase, as in making some more after the lab product.
Best of luck with it jhn, and maybe it will be great, but i still see this as taking "early adopter" to extremes. What's wrong with waiting for a launch, some reviews, some folks' experience of it?

Will watch it with interest, though I see that it has a built in battery.

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Well, not you. .You aren't going to see if for 4-6 months.

:laugh: Technically true but not quite the point i was trying to make :laugh:

It takes all sorts - I enjoy trying new tech out. Sometimes I end up buying a lemon but more often than not I'm pleasantly surprised :okay: I can of course perfectly understand others taking a more cautious route and waiting for feedback and reviews. I'm just not that sensible.

Lozi

My GPS is a Mio does that make me an outcast for not having a Garmin?

I’m very happy with it by the way.

jay clock

Massive member
I have Garmin 1000 which I use to preplan GPX routes. Generally VERY happy in that I can lead a ride (small group of friends) and painlessly head off into parts unknown.

Few comments:
1 - settings can be very fiddly, particularly make sure you turn off auto rerouting if following a Course
2 - the further I am away from home, the more important it is to plan properly on RWGPS (I zoom in and street view fiddly bits). Also RWGPS (not Garmin's fault) often diverts off a main road and down a village street or cycle track for 100m for no good reason)
3 I find the 1000 very fiddly for touring (i.e. navigation to a point). Best to choose an intermediate point 20k away rather than further

John Peel

I have Garmin 1000 which I use to preplan GPX routes. Generally VERY happy in that I can lead a ride (small group of friends) and painlessly head off into parts unknown.

Few comments:
1 - settings can be very fiddly, particularly make sure you turn off auto rerouting if following a Course
2 - the further I am away from home, the more important it is to plan properly on RWGPS (I zoom in and street view fiddly bits). Also RWGPS (not Garmin's fault) often diverts off a main road and down a village street or cycle track for 100m for no good reason)
3 I find the 1000 very fiddly for touring (i.e. navigation to a point). Best to choose an intermediate point 20k away rather than further

If I could work out how to use the pin a spot on the map to navigate I would use that, but as I move the pin to place and try to set it, it wont set. Maybe you could instruct me on that one, it would be a big help and I might then be able to use the garmin for other than just recording my miles for day. Its not easy for me to pre plan and install routes, as I am always on the move from day to day, so I'm presuming you have to do that with a laptop prior to the ride.

Alan O

Über Member
Just on the battery life issue, I carry a USB power thing with me. If I'm only using my iPhone for tracking rather than navigating (which is usually) it stays plugged into it in my bag, or if I am navigating I give it some power on sections where I don't need it. And I top up my fitbit watch when I have a stop, if it needs it. Oh, and for phone calls, I carry my ancient small, lightweight, Nokia 2310 - low power consumption, and the battery lasts ages.

John Peel

Just on the battery life issue, I carry a USB power thing with me. If I'm only using my iPhone for tracking rather than navigating (which is usually) it stays plugged into it in my bag, or if I am navigating I give it some power on sections where I don't need it. And I top up my fitbit watch when I have a stop, if it needs it. Oh, and for phone calls, I carry my ancient small, lightweight, Nokia 2310 - low power consumption, and the battery lasts ages.

I too use USB battery banks. I have 2 and they are only quite small, but between them will keep my phone and other bits charged for days. So when in a campsite, I just leave them plugged in at the reception desk until morning. I would be knackered without them to be honest.

Can recommend the large anker 2100 one john peel.

Re your post upthread, it is possible to produce workable daily routes on an android tab running OSMand+ and get them onto a garmin. No internet needed.

Alan O

Über Member

Re your post upthread, it is possible to produce workable daily routes on an android tab running OSMand+ and get them onto a garmin. No internet needed.
I presume you mean 20,100 - that's the one I've got, and it lasts for ages and charges things quickly.

John Peel

The 2 battery banks I have - EasyAcc 10k - are great for me. Having 2 at 10,000 means I can leave one on charge while still having the other, and they are pretty light really. I would be knackered with out battery banks of any sort. I have a laptop with me and iPhone X now, as it's been donkey's years since I was on Android. But I suppose I could work out routes on my laptop and get them over to my Garmin, Its just another thing to do each and every day though, as I don't know where I will be from one day to the next. I would just like to be able to pin a pin to my garmin explorer 1000 but can't work out how to do it. I can find the spot I want to place the pin on the map, but when I place the pin, there is no way of it staying there and giving me directions. I'm doing something obviously wrong, but can't get the best answer.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
i was just about to push the button on a Elemnt or Edge820 when I thought do I really need this. Is there a phone app that does the same job? I really just need it for turn by turn directions and points of interest for touring in Europe. I’m aware of the battery life issue but are there any other drawbacks to using a phone?

Phone should do the job, except GPS absolutely fries the batteries on any mobile phone I've ever used, so I would use a phone if you also have some kind of robust battery management strategy such as a hub dynamo or a large backup battery. I can't speak for the Elmnt or the Garmin 820, but I would be more inclined to use a garmin like device.

Top Bottom