Navigation: MapMyRide, Apple Maps and Google Mals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi,

I'm planning to cycle the Hever Castle Triathlon bike route and use my iPhone to give me directions.

I also want to record the session in MapMyRide, as I record all my training there, though I don't know if it can give directions.

I've located a copy of the route in .kml and .gpx format.

Sadly MMR won't accept either imports.

I can't see any online information about loading routes into Apple Maps (preferred as it links to Apple Watch)

I've loaded the route into Google Maps online, and signed in on my iPhone, but I can't see anything about my maps in the app.

...Anyone done this before?

When you create a new route, you can upload:
(GPX, Polar HRM, TCX, Activity)
according to MMR. What problems do you have uploading gpx?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
When you create a new route, you can upload:
(GPX, Polar HRM, TCX, Activity)
according to MMR. What problems do you have uploading gpx?

If you try it you will see the disclaimer that the glx has to include time and exercise data with it. I just have geographic data.

Does MMR give directions?

MMR will upload a gpx for the route, but I'm not sure how the time/exercise data is dealt with. You may have to manually put that in.

Disclaimer is
Many .gpx files do not contain workout data. They have waypoints not track data. (more.) In that case, you must manually add a duration for the workout to be included on the leaderboard for our challenges. Regrettably, such workouts cannot be considered "verified" for performance / non-random prize eligibility.

Just tried uploading a gpx at it appeared fine.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
MMR will upload a gpx for the route, but I'm not sure how the time/exercise data is dealt with. You may have to manually put that in.

Disclaimer is
Many .gpx files do not contain workout data. They have waypoints not track data. (more.) In that case, you must manually add a duration for the workout to be included on the leaderboard for our challenges. Regrettably, such workouts cannot be considered "verified" for performance / non-random prize eligibility.

Just tried uploading a gpx at it appeared fine.

<shrug> It doesn't when I do it, I suggest your file contains the info it needs where mine does not.

Do you know if MMR gives directions?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I could do, and it's kind to offer, but if MMR doesn't give directions then it's pointless. I've only used MMR to track my activity rather than follow a route - and Google hasn't shown me any examples of it giving directions.

I've not really used them but the mapmyride and bikehub apps (for instance) seem to show the maps, route and current position. Doesn't give as good details as a dedicated bike computer, but might be enough?
http://www.mapmyride.com/app/
The mapmyride app seems to sync with the normal site and upload your data, so it does a fair bit of what you're after. It doesn't seem to say "turn left here", but does show the maps?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 3849088, member: 259"]No.[/QUOTE]
Cheers.

So, it's importing into Apple or Google maps I need to achieve.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Has anyone created a map in Google maps and used it as a route in. Google App?

Through a browser I see a My Maps option that I can't find on the app. I'm signed into both.

Top Bottom