Nazca Paseo framekit ordered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sailorsi

Recumbents - Exercise whilst lying down
I am off to Laid Back next week and was hoping he had a Gaucho to play on, though I think I might be unlucky. As I only live a few miles from you [Hill Head] I would appreciate being able to drool at the Paseo when I get back-if that was possible.
I loved the Gaucho when I had a play at Laid Back, the suspension is solid but removes all the road bumps, definitely a plus for this area. Hope you get chance to ride one as it's an awesome machine. If I had room for another bent I would consider one for regular commutes.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
Tried to go for a decent ride this evening but got a puncture (glass in the rear tyre) so had to cut it short. At least the Paseo is easy to stand upside down on its aerobars to remove the rear wheel. I must get a better mini-pump - difficult to get a good grip on the Crank Bros one I have. Had difficulty getting the tyre to 40 psi. Any mini-pump recommendations? I'd appreciate something with a hose attachment, having to hold the pump to the valve is rather challenging.

Anyhow, other than that I enjoy the truncated ride. I've been riding the RANS and Thorn so it felt vey odd at first with a relatively steeply reclined seat. However it's an easy bike to launch and to ride uphill because it is so well balanced at low speed. It's a very different ride from the RANS. The question is whether or not I can get as comfortable in traffic with it as I am with the RANS.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
I managed that longer ride today. Before heading out I'd swapped out the Racer tyres for a Grand Prix on the front and a Kojak on the rear, both pumped to 85 psi - with suspension I thought it made sense to pumped them harder than I would otherwise. I also discovered that having tight QRs does affect a wheel's spin so slacked them off a bit. It certainly rolled well on the new tyres but I found the steering too light so will put the Racer back on the front. I chickened out on a long straight downhill resorting to the brakes and finding it hard to hold a line.A 28mm tyre is too thin for my liking on the front, and the 40mm Racer is perhaps too wide. Which leaves the Kojak or the Marathon Plus I guess.

fatjel

Veteran
Well done on the ride ,how far you go?
Interested in your tyre issues,
I have 1.75 marathon pluses on cos I had them in the shed
Was planning to change to 28mm
Given how much trouble I have going in a straight line maybe I'll stick with the Marathons

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
It wasn't that far, only around 20 miles and covered very slowly. I've ordered a 1.35" Marathon plus to try on the front. The 1.75" versions must be rather heavy, My Giro came with 32mm Kwests but I found the ride too harsh so I changed to Racers at around 50F/70R psi. Some tests are showing the Marathon Greenguards to roll better than the Racers, and of course more puncture resistant so I'd be tempted to try those but 40mm is the narrowest available in 406 I think whereas for the rear there's a 32mm one.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
Marathon Plus 35-406 tyre arrived. Doesn't feel too heavy at all and tread's not as thick as I was expecting. So tried putting it on an Alex DA 16 rim and it just won't go. That's the first tyre that's beaten me in more than 8 years. I'll try it on a Velocity Aeroheat rim.

fatjel

Veteran
I often use 28 greenguard marathons on my roadbikes and they do roll really well imho
Changed the trike from marathon + to trykers last year and the only difference I felt was a lightening of my wallet
Never punctured one either so I'm a big fan of marathons unless you want light weight

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
I got the Marathon plus mounted on the Velocity rim without any tools, although it was a bit of a struggle. Was surprised to see a minimum inflation pressure of 65psi specified on side of the tyre. I put in 80 just to make sure it was mounted properly. Need to decide about a Greenguard tyre for the rear or not.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
I did another decent ride today. The Marathon Plus on the front was a success, I had it inflated to 75 psi, and the Kojak on the rear at 85 psi. There was one beast of a hill where I had to get off and push but otherwise ok. I need to bring the boom in a bit, I think I'm over-extending and sliding down the seat. Maybe push it in by 2cm. Found that I had the seat on the most reclined setting. No wonder I was cutting through the air so nicely. I will raise it because the body angle feels too open.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
So I pushed the boom in by 15mm. This resulted in more chain wrap at the RD and more seriously the FD fouling the power side chain tube. So I split the chain and found a small section of 4 links in the chain run with quick links at each end so I removed this section, and then got to work on cutting the chain tube down. Unfortunately whilst I'd tied shoe lace to one end of the chain, I lost the other end and had to spend 30 grubby minutes feeding it back through. So reconnected the chain, put the bike on the stand and ran through the gears only to find there wasn't enough chain for the large-large combination. Bizaarely it was 4 links short so I reinstalled the section I had just removed. Thought I was done but noticed that the lower chain tube was fouling the rear brake and brake noodle when on the granny ring. Which explains the rattle I've been getting from the RD when on the smallest chain ring. There's no obvious soluion to this. Changing to a disk brake or to an IGH would solve it but I don't really want to go there, although I have previously considered a dual-drive. I could try a reversible V-brake so the noodle is on the non-chain side but the cable end might still interfere with the chain tube. I wondered about dropping the chain but that won't work with the suspension fork. Or I could put up with the rattle now I know the cause and that it's only with the granny ring. Will ponder on it.

fatjel

Veteran
I've been there with the tubes on my trike ..Nightmare.
I've never really resolved the chain issues on the trike
One of the reasons I used the gears I have on the Giro
the Zee crankset is a mtb size so I put all the spacers on the drive side
This and having only one chain ring keeps the chain away from the frame a bit
I'm using discs for now so no brakes to get in the way at the back

Top Bottom