Nazca Paseo framekit ordered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
Yes, chain-lines can be tricky on SWBs. Discs simplify matters but I've never really liked them - got BB7s on my Catrike and had them on my Metabikes. I do have a 26" disc wheel so I would just need a caliper but that means downgrading from my current Mavic rim with titanium XTR hub.
My problem is only when the RD is in its rearmost upper position, so a dual drive with a long cage derailleur and chain kept short would be ok. I actually have an SA CS-RF3 available to build into a rim.
Or go the full IGH route with a chain tensioner. Alfine 8 is gappy, Alfine 11 seems to have control cable issues, Rohloff is expensive, NuVinci is heavy and inefficient.
Hmmm, think it's disc brake or the CS-RF3. The disk brake is the more performance solution, the CS-RF3 is the utiltiy (change gear when stationary) option. If i was really after perfomance then a fixed unicrown fork with dropped return chain line would be the option - and this might work fine given that I can in effect adjust the head tube angle via the ride height adjustement to compensate for the lowered front end. So it would reduce weight, improve efficiency and lower the seat height (am struggling a little to mount and dismount currently) but I would lose the front suspension. The dual suspension is really lovely and provides some safety with all the potholes around.Choices, choices, choices .....

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
Sorted! Solution was a zip tie around the chain tube and around the stabilising bar of the low-rider racks to hold the chain tube below the V-brake. I ran the bike through all the gears repeatedly and it worked brilliantly because it still allows the chain tube to move laterally. Glad I hadn't spent time and money on the other things I had contemplated ^_^

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
I completed the same circuit today. Measured it with a cycle app and it's 16 miles, which I completed in a moving time of 1hr 41 mins, an average of about 9.6 mph. That's below the 11mph averages I used to do on my ICE Sprint. I'll try and do the same course with my Stratus XP later in the week. The steep hill defeated me again though I got further up before pushing. The gearing is about right. Found stopping and starting easier with the more upright seat, and descended more securely now the boom is pushed in a bit. I ride with platform pedals - not ideal on a SWB for climbing and descending. I very much enjoyed the ride. Maybe next time I'll be able to "go for it".

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
Did the same course today on the Stratus XP at just under an average of 12mph. Used cyclometer to record the ride, but it had defaulted to metric. Distance 26.6km, avg speed 19.1kph, max speed 44.7kph, with 366m of climbing. The gearing, rear wheel size and rear tyre are the same on the XP as on the Paseo but the cranks are longer: 165mm on the XP vs 148mm on the Paseo. Interestingly on a slight downhill gradient I was able to pull a taller gear on the Paseo, presumably because of better aerodynamics - assuming the wind wasn't more against me today. Will have to give it a go on the Catrike.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
I have reconfigured my Paseo. Some photos here, https://photos.app.goo.gl/fGHyYEEofiizHoLY8

The carbon Meks suspension fork was replaced with a fixed unicrown cro-mo fork, mainly to lower the front end to make mounting and dismounting easier. Replacement fork 600g lighter but this is offset by having a 50mm BA front tyre. Built a new wheel for this with a wider rim, a Halo SUB-4 (very very nice rim), a Shimano 105 hub, and 32 plain guage spokes.

New rear wheel: SA CS-RK3 hub, Mavic XC-717 disc rim, 36-spokes double butted. Marathon Greenguard 32-559 tyre. Done to allow gear changes when stationary. Really want to avoid punctures with an IGH, hence GG tyre, narrowish to keep weight down.

Rear Tektro Aquila cable disc brake. Done to fix interference between chain and V-brake. (Preferred to BB7 - lighter and easier to fit. Disc pads just as big.)

Stronglight Junior 150mm compact double crankset, 38T inner ring, Spa chainring guard outer. With TA Axix 107mm titanium BB. Done to tidy front ent and reduce weight, plus reduced Q-factor (maybe 155mm).

Really pleased with all the components. The SA hub is not as useful as I hoped for since a change down from middle to bottom is only a 25% reduction. Found the best idea is to change down on the cassette anyway in prepration to stop, maybe to fourth, and then use the hub if I do stop to make the restarting easier. Hub is silent and gear changes are slick but the trigger shifter works the opposite to a derailleur with thumb to change down rather than up - which has caught me out on occassion.

All the components chosen with weight in mind but I'm afraid the whole thing is coming out at around 42lbs, though that's with guards, rack, kickstand, bottle cage etc. I really love the look and the quality of the bike, however the recline is about 5 degrees more than I would like. So jury still out on how long I keep it. I would like to try a fork with a small offset to allow me to alter the suspension geometry and raise the seat. So if any one knows where I can get a 20" fork with a long 1-1/8 inch steerer and small offset then please let me know.

EDIT: current fork offset is between 35 and 40mm, so not exactly large. This is giving a trail of about 60-65mm. These measurements are not easy!

EDIT2: Tried measuring fork rake and wheel trail again. I'd say the rake was 40mm and the trail goes from 65mm with the ride height in the low postion to 45mm with the ride height in the high position. The high position gives me the more upright recline I want, so I shall keep it on that and see how I get on with the 45mm of trail. With this, the BB height is down to 62cm making stopping and starting easier. This is a couple of inches less than a Grasshopper and about 3" less than an Origami.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
Some recent photos here, https://photos.app.goo.gl/XStmKvjXvXSWYXeo7 I've added a piece of camping mat at the top of the seat to make a more upright seating position and to reduce the amount of lumbar support. I was getting backache. Planning some changes.

I have decided to remove the SA CS-RK3 and return to derailleurs only, which is a lot of work to put it back to where it was. Except I'm going to try a compact double and a shadow derailleur so I can use the 12-36T 9-speed cassette I tried previously but which wasn't compatible with the SRAM RD. The idea being that the large ring will be for "normal" riding including starting, and the small ring will be for climbing. Will change the twist grip for an Alivio trigger shifter to accomodate the RD. The shifter has a display so I should know how many thumb pushes to get down into first gear for starting. (Never more than 3 and usually just 2.) . I will re-install the wheel with the XTR hub in order to get the quick pawl engagement for easy starting. My main worry is whether interference between the rear v-brake and the return chain tube causes aggravation. I've ordered some Jagwire flexible brake noodles to hopefully avoid interference with the noodle though I can't remember exactly what the issue was.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
Another update. I have reverted to derailleurs as described above. Have a 30/42 double with a 12-36 cassette. And gone back to V-brakes. I have folding tyres front and rear: a Maxxis DTH 38-40 on the front and a Panaracer Pasela Protite 32-599 on the rear. Weight has come down to 39lbs (below 18Kg). I did a few weekend rides before using it on my commute to work today. Think I have finally reached the end of the adaptations to suit me. The seat mod to reduce lumbar support works, the double chainset works, the tyres are quick and comfy, and the fixed fork is manageable. I'm sorting out a light mount for the boom. No futher changes planned to the bike. I will give some thought to strap on luggage for touring though.

EDIT: Can't believe it's taken me two years to get there!

PS. The interference between chain tube and rear v-brake has gone with the installation of the Deore Shadow RD which has a longer cage than the SRAM x9.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
Decided to try the 49-406 Maxxis DTH tyre on the Halo Sub4 rim instead of the 38-406 version on the Velocity Aeroheat rim. The weight penalty of the change is 235g, combination of wider rim, tyre and inner tube. Made the change to see what difference it makes to shock absorption with my fixed fork. I ran the tyre today at 40psi whereas I use 60 psi in the 38mm verson, It was more comfortable and the extra weight and small change in head tube angle made the steering less light. Previously it was a bit too light for my taste. Light steering is to be expect with a 20" unsuspended front wheel. Think I will try increasing the pressure to 45 psi to see if it quickens the bike. The bike felt a bit les lively with the change, not a slug but less lively.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
I've reverted to the 38-406 Maxxis tyre on the lighter rim. The weight , lateral resistance and scrub with the wider tyre was too much penalty for a bit more comfort. Just come back from a week in Holland. The bike was faultless handling its load in 35mph cross winds. Now interested in getting it into audax mode, so semi-aero rims and more weight reduction being planned :-)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The Nazca bikes are nice but those long steel tubes and suspension means there is a limit to how light you can make them. The Fuego is a similar weight and if you ever lift the bike with both wheels off, you'll know why.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
True but it fits me so well. Also any improvement is worth having, no matter what the baseline. Removing guards, rack and kickstand would make a big difference but I'm not prepared to compromise functionality. It feels quite sporty and taking another couple of lbs off will help further.

Top Bottom