NBT2 really does work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Guru
I just wanted you all to know that the NBT2 really does work in the field for removing cassettes. I managed to break a spoke on the rear wheel yesterday and set about my first spoke change today. Once I realised I had to remove the cassette (:blush:) I dug out the Next Best Thing which Spandex bought me and even mechanically-challenged old me managed to follow the instructions and work out how to use it. I'm 200km from the nearest bike shop so it really saved the day. If you're touring anywhere remotely far from a bike shop I'd definitely recommend packing one. It's very small and light, although not cheap.

Keep your fingers crossed that my repair holds for the next 200km until I can get it professionally checked out in Sault St Marie.

EDIT: link fixed

Crankarm

Guru
I just wanted you all to know that the NBT2 really does work in the field for removing cassettes. I managed to break a spoke on the rear wheel yesterday and set about my first spoke change today. Once I realised I had to remove the cassette (:blush:) I dug out the Next Best Thing which Spandex bought me and even mechanically-challenged old me managed to follow the instructions and work out how to use it. I'm 200km from the nearest bike shop so it really saved the day. If you're touring anywhere remotely far from a bike shop I'd definitely recommend packing one. It's very small and light, although not cheap.

Keep your fingers crossed that my repair holds for the next 200km until I can get it professionally checked out in Sault St Marie.

You'd make Ray Mears proud Helen. Hope you are able to get the wheel properly rebuilt at the next bike shop. 'Am enjoying your CGOAB journal btw.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
You'd make Ray Mears proud Helen. Hope you are able to get the wheel properly rebuilt at the next bike shop. 'Am enjoying your CGOAB journal btw.

I'm certainly going to come back a much better bike mechanic, that's for sure!

I've finally got an internet connection so should be adding some updates to the journal tonight. Glad you're enjoying it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I remember checking the NBT out a year ago but forgot about it again. It saves lugging a chain wrench, locck tool and a spanner. Thanks for the reminder and well done on the self mend.

rh100

I was looking at stuff like this a while back after suffering a broken spoke, I may get one ( I think the link may be broken - I get the Spa cycles search page, but searching for NBT2 brings it up), for £17 it's well spent if it gets you out of trouble.

+1, have been reading a bit of yours and RichP's also - excellent stuff.

Top Bottom