Near miss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Black knight

Had my first brown trousers moment this morning.

Cycling along the main road in Milton Keynes (because the redways are awful in that section) and hear a car a few hundred yds back.
Clearly indicate and move into the right turn filter lane in plently of time only to hear screeching tyres a few seconds later.

The dozy ****ing prick har obviously seen me on the left. Pulled out to give me room by overtaking in the right filter lane....but I can only imagine was distracted by something as by the time he looked up he was just off my back tyre. Heard the wheels lock up and he screeched to a stop sliding off to the left literally inches from my back wheel.

No apology, just a load of verbal, the ****ing prick.

Gonna have to get myself a hi-vis jacket or something. Doubt it would have helped much as he clearly wasn't looking but I don't want to be in that position again!

OP
OP
B

Black knight

Yes checked, gave a clear long signal. Can only guess he was filling with the radio or something and assumed I was still in the left hand lane.

Not familiar with RAB??

Road is a 60 though most do more.

OP
OP
B

Black knight

Ahh,

No wasn't a roundabout. Straight road 60mph, with a filter lane to allow a right turn without holding up traffic.

I had moved into the filter lane. He hadn't realised and tried to use the filter lane to overtake (with me in it)!

peteoc

a few hundred yards at 60mph based on the driver actually keeping to the speed will only take him 10 seconds to cover that distance, you should constantly look over your shoulder.

taxing

But even if OP had seen this idiot, what would he have done? I'd have just assumed the car was also getting into the right lane, up until the last few seconds where he was still going too fast and slammed his brakes on.

The other day I was coming up to a red light, there was one car stopped in front of me, I was about two car lengths back from him. Suddenly some prick tearing up the right lane slotted himself in between me and the car in front, leaving me a metre in which to brake so that I didn't go into the back of him. What could I have done? I would argue nothing, apart from brake. There was no reason for me to think he wasn't staying in the right lane, he didn't indicate, and there was no need for him to overtake me just before a red light, it was just idiocy and 'must get past the cyclist' mentality.

peteoc

but that fact the speed on the road is 60mph, I wouldn't have pulled out with a car only 300 yards away. We always say about cars taking risks however so did the OP. I'd say both are in the wrong here, yes the driver shouldn't have pulled out and overtook in the right filter lane but thinking about riding:

Look over shoulder - car 300 yards away
Look back infront (1-2 seconds) - car is now 260 yards away
Signal before moving (5 seconds) - car is now 100 yards away
Move across (1 second) - car is now 70 yards away

Stopping distance of a car at 60mph is 79 yards.

taxing said:
and there was no need for him to overtake me just before a red light, it was just idiocy and 'must get past the cyclist' mentality.

I had this with a van yesterday on Blackfriars Bridge...I was going into the right hand lane for the right turn towards Waterloo...The right hand turn lane was empty but the middle lane was full of traffic...WVM comes storming up foot on accelerator so I thought I would stand my ground...The next time I look he isn't actually going into the right hand turn lane but is going into the middle lane and has to brake sharpish so wtf was that all about?

OP
OP
B

Black knight

I disagree Peteoc.

I moved into a lane.. which was clear.. in plently of time.

Driver assumed his path to be clear wihout checking. He swerved a good 6ft into the filter lane before realising I was there, right in front of him.

The car didn't need to slow or stop, we were in entirely differnt lanes, he swerved because (I can only guess) he thought there was an obstacle (me) in his lane.

p.s Travelling west so no sun visiblity issues.

peteoc

Then I can only base my comments on the assumtion that what you originally said was correct. You stated the driver was a few hundred yards away (300) and gave a long enough signal........what do you class as a long enough signal? Mine would be at least 5 seconds. I'd still check over my shoulder a second time at a minimum before moving.

OP
OP
B

Black knight

Ok, fair comment.

Not 100% on the distances but I can confirm he was a fair distance away, certainly enough to be aware of my manover.

dondare

Über Member
Black knight said:
Ahh,

No wasn't a roundabout. Straight road 60mph, with a filter lane to allow a right turn without holding up traffic.

I had moved into the filter lane. He hadn't realised and tried to use the filter lane to overtake (with me in it)!

But MK is nothing but RABs.

dondare

Über Member
Major problem with MK is that having such elaborate provision for cyclists to ride on segregated paths, the roads proper are less suitable for cycling and motorists are less prepared to drive safely. Bad concept altogether.

Top Bottom