Nearly 'left hook' by the bus.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, it's a pain, it happens all the time, most of you will have had this sort of thing: I was going quite slowly up to a small roundabout (going straight ahead) and a few yards before the junction this bus comes up from behind, passes me on my right, and takes the left exit cutting across my path. This counts as a 'left hook' I think. There are no railings, at least. Anyway I slammed to a stop, no harm done. If I'd been going faster, however....

Thing is: I've got the reg. no, the bus route no. the bus company, the time and place, all the details (oh the beauty of mobile phones and being able to text-in all this stuff as a memo instantly!). But now, even after drafting up quite a courteous E-mail to the bus company, I just haven't the motivation to take it further. I just don't want to enter into a correspondence, perhaps face a counter-blast (I wasn't 'undertaking' the bus! Honest, guv!).

Not for the first time, I shall probably let this one pass.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Get that email in. If that happened then you have every right to be concerned about the drivers actions, and as a 'professional' driver they should know better.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just drop a polite email in...easy.....don't get arsey, they will look into it. I did it last year, as a passenger....the driver went nuts just 'cos the ticket machine didn't cut the paper and I pulled a little too much roll out...FFS, had it not bern a packed bus, I'd have had a right barney...... anyway, I got an apology, and the driver a talking to.

OP
OP

661-Pete

I appreciate the support, guys, but no, sorry, I'll let it be: it's just not in me, can't really explain. Hope I'm not putting off anyone else from taking the 'proper' action in a similar situation. Perhaps I shouldn't have started this thread.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
similar thing happened to me and a group of 3 others today in streatham, some bus drivers are really nice and give you plenty of room, some are total tit's. just like everything else.

It's worth reporting.

Slightly OT, but I've just reported a bus stop situation where cyclists are forced to overtake a bus sitting at a bus stop then turn immediately left across the front of the bus to get off the road and onto the entrance to a cycle path via a dropped kerb. I've seen drivers pull away without indicating too - it's a complete recipe for disaster. And it's right outside a hospital A&E!

In principle, I would always report incidents involving buses.

Bristol Dave

I wonder if bus drivers have a scoring system for how many people they annoy on a daily basis? It seems to be the only answer to some of the petty daft-ness that occurs with buses (pulling across the Toucan so nobody can cross, overtaking yards from a bus stop and pulling in, etc etc etc).

BD

If you don’t feel up to it, fair enough. If the event upset/worried/angered you then sometimes just the act of writing it down can be very therapeutic. I might be wrong here, but you sound as if you want to avoid conflict or confrontation with the bus company – and again that’s fair enough, but it doesn’t have to be that way. A politely worded and even anonymous letter might be the way to go – helpful to everyone rather than confrontational, driver informed and might be a little more careful next time, bus company look at their training/assessment, next cyclist not left hooked - and the worlds a slightly better place!!

Billloudon

661-Pete said:
I appreciate the support, guys, but no, sorry, I'll let it be: it's just not in me, can't really explain. Hope I'm not putting off anyone else from taking the 'proper' action in a similar situation. Perhaps I shouldn't have started this thread.

C'mon pete. You know it makes sense, report it. As has been said no need for protracted correspondence just an email advising them.
Are you a man or a mouse:biggrin:;)

Typo

Yup, another "report it" vote here. I had something similar, sent a polite email to report it with my name & address, and had a polite "we'll look into it" acknowledgement back. Then another email a few days later - "we've checked the video(!) & you're quite right, the driver will be spoken to & if it happens again he'll be in deep doo-doo".

Honour duly satisfied. :tongue:

thomas

the tank engine
I got this
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=33139

from a quick email to a taxi company (with a video). I've not always had much luck getting a response from a bus company. Like others have said, keep it simple, state what happened and how you wouldn't expect their drivers to drive like that. Keep it short and to the point.

I would do it. If the company email back wanting to have an argument, rather than just acknowledge it, they've got bigger problems.

I bet a quid that they'll avoid using the word 'sorry' in any response :tongue:

AnotherEye

Please, do report it. If not for yourself then do it for all the other cyclists: just one email might save a life.
All these drivers need feedback otherwise they will just repeat the bad driving.
As said above; just facts (avoid judgments). If you draft it I'll look over it for you if you want before you send it (just send me a PM).
What's in it for you? You'll find out how it feels to see this through; if you don't do it you'll never know the outcome.

Top Bottom