Nearly, oh so nearly x 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
dondare said:
I've followed cyclists before now who seem to attract this kind of near miss constantly. I can see them but for some reason the motorists can't.

That's me that is! I'm beginning to think that my hi-viz vest is actually a cloak of invisibility in disguise.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
There are currently 7859 active members on this forum and only a very small proportion post videos of incidents; does this mean that other members do not have 'incidents'?
OP, 'Observation' is not the name of a UK Sunday newspaper but an act that you should be actively doing. Stop the video at about 5 seconds and what do you see? You have just passed a line of stationary traffic and in front of the dark blue car, there is a large gap and more stationary traffic. Why has the dark blue car stopped? I can't see any road markings, roundabout, traffic lights or a policeman on traffic duty. What I do see is a side road on the left and one on the right where the small van is. Do you think that he stopped there so that he would not block the junction?
You have two eyes, two ears and a brain, please start using them. Remember that there are old cyclists and bold cyclists but there are no old, bold cyclists!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
mr_hippo said:
There are currently 7859 active members on this forum and only a very small proportion post videos of incidents; does this mean that other members do not have 'incidents'?
I don't have a camera - but to answer the question posed, I'd expect something genuinely dangerous (usually an overly close overtake or being swerved in front of in some way) about once a week, with a background level of less worrying incidents once or twice per commute.

(To help quantify that, I ride between 28 and 40 miles per day, riding in rural, suburban and city centre roads in the UK).

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Welcome back hippo. Visit to bikeradar not working out?

For someone who despises cameras, you seem to put in an awful lot of effort into analysing the footage.

Matthames

Über Member
I think I know what went on here, my guess it was the classic flash lights disengage brain scenario. I see this happening a lot on my journey so I just watch for patterns in the traffic to give an indication if this is going on and adjust my speed and position to suit. I always adopt an overtaking position rather than an undertaking one as it gives you both visibility and a possible escape route. If you see this happening and you are near the front, your best option would be to slow down and consider stopping.

Origamist

Legendary Member
mr_hippo said:

No, but it means that others can learn from the videos of cyclists who experience near misses, without (hopefully) having to learn the hard way.

You must remember that not all cyclists are as skilled, experienced, and savvy as your good self, Hippo.

GrasB

Veteran
mr_hippo, yes the driver of the car has left the junction open but that is simply common courteously, something I always do in a car is leave the junction open untill there's space to get clear of the junction in my lane, what a stationary cat does not mean is that it's safe to turn right through the junction. Especially when you're turning right you wait until you have a clear view of the road then move through the junction. You certainly shouldn't just go through a junction unsighted because the car in front has decided to go.

I'm thinking of an incident where a friend of mine was in a collision, when driving a car, in similar circumstances. Someone turning right went through the junction, that was close enough & she was braking hard, but the car behind blindly followed through the first car. My friend having used up most of the available traction couldn't stop in time and the cars collided with each other, though this was at very low speed.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
GrasB said:
mr_hippo, yes the driver of the car has left the junction open but that is simply common courteously, something I always do in a car is leave the junction open untill there's space to get clear of the junction in my lane, what a stationary cat does not mean is that it's safe to turn right through the junction. Especially when you're turning right you wait until you have a clear view of the road then move through the junction. You certainly shouldn't just go through a junction unsighted because the car in front has decided to go.

I'm thinking of an incident where a friend of mine was in a collision, when driving a car, in similar circumstances. Someone turning right went through the junction, that was close enough & she was braking hard, but the car behind blindly followed through the first car. My friend having used up most of the available traction couldn't stop in time and the cars collided with each other, though this was at very low speed.

Mr_hippo will now argue that, even if the driver has made the manoeuvre, the cyclist should have anticipated this and ridden more cautiously. Ergo (and this is hippo's speciality move) any responsibility for injury or death lies with the cyclist.

Am I right?

Origamist said:
No, but it means that others can learn from the videos of cyclists who experience near misses, without (hopefully) having to learn the hard way.

You must remember that not all cyclists are as skilled, experienced, and savvy as your good self, Hippo.

I am, and quite possibly more so, but unfortunately I don't have a camera.
Otherwise you could learn so much from me.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Parker-Knowall said:
I am, and quite possibly more so, but unfortunately I don't have a camera.
Otherwise you could learn so much from me.

I'm sure you're right. PM me your details and I'll buy you a Muvi clone and we can all benefit from your cycling expertise (the Muvi can be clipped to a starched antimacassar and so I'm expecting excellent film of your armchair exploits).

Mike!

Guru
I have to say i agree with Mr Hippo.

By no means was the car turning across the cyclists path in the right, however the situation could and should have been anticipated slightly more than it was.

rb58

Enigma
I've stopped using those narrow cycle lanes when there is queuing traffic, preferring to filter on the offside of the traffic, just as a motorcycle would. Feel much safer.

Top Bottom