Nearly ran over a toddler yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
This has been on my mind since yesterday afternoon...

I was heading down HERE no cars or other traffic about and just taking it easy at about 15mph as it was early afternoon. There was a parked car just past where the white car was and as I drew up to its rear a small toddler of about 3 years ran out into the road towards my front wheel. I swerved and braked and luckily he seemed to sense that being there wasnt a good idea and leapt backwards towards the car.

Two things immediately crossed my mind.. one was thank christ I was taking it easy* and didnt ride the doorzone, or else it could have been one dead little boy. The other was "Where the hell is your mother!?"

As I had come to a virtual stand still I looked down at the little lad and said "Dont play in the road, son!" He went back on the pavement and I saw a young woman's head pop up by the bonnet. I havent a clue what she was up to but she seemed to stick out her hand and draw him over. I did consider having a go at her, she'll only get one chance to raise him, but then just thought that knowing the area that I'd only get a mouthful back, perhaps she'll think next time?

*I know some on here will prolly moan and come out with something "smart", the fact is I managed to stop.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well done mate! And that's why we shouldn't give a toss about impatient car drivers wanting us to ride right next to parked cars.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Mega well done ! Kids are buggers for doing their own thing within a split second,mine have caught me out the odd time which is scary.
If it's any consolation i launched a young woman once who decided to walk out in between gridlocked cars as i was riding on the painted cycle lane,amazing brakes those bigger body masses !

I remember narrowly missing a toddler when I was in the artic up at Cradley Heath in the Midlands. His mother (well, a woman with an empty pushchair who I presume was his mother; there were no other likely candidates about) was waiting at a bus stop twenty yards away while he played between two parked cars. This on a relatively busy A road at 4pm. I'd seen him in time to slow to a crawl, so I was ready to stand on the brakes when he poked his head out from between the cars.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sounds like you did very well. And if the mother doesn't learn from it, the kid might.

But kids can be utterly unpredictable. I'd say my sister was a brilliant Mum (well, I would, wouldn't I, but I mean it), and yet Oli still ran out into the main road once. No harm done, but her yell of fear frightened him, and after that he was very keen to be careful by the road, explaining to his grandma that you had to hold hands and look carefully.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Small children do not have the ability to appreciate speed or danger in the same way as older children or adults. A couple years ago while out on my bike I hit a kid who ran out suddenly across a a multiple use path. It was my fault and it brought home to me that I did not I somehow have superior reactions to drivers simply because I was 'outside' and that I could never assume adult rationality for kids (and sometimes not even for adults).

BTW, the kid was fine. Kids are also suprisingly resilient, not that this is any excuse...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Many years ago, a friend of mine was driving through a small Welsh town when he saw a movement through the windscreen of a parked car. It turned out to be the top of the head of a small child running out between two vehicles. He slammed on his brakes, swerved to his right and somehow avoided running her over but struck her a glancing blow which knocked her off her feet. The child got to her feet and ran home crying with my traumatised friend in hot pursuit. He followed her into the house and found himself screaming at her stunned parents who were apparently sitting watching TV, completely unaware that their toddler had run off!

In any other scenario adults have a responsibility for the safety of children, except roads when they are expected to take responsibility for the adults.

Personally I think you were correct in your actions and took responsibility.

All too many motons would be complaining about the kid being in their way.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
In any other scenario adults have a responsibility for the safety of children, except roads when they are expected to take responsibility for the adults.

Personally I think you were correct in your actions and took responsibility.

All too many motons would be complaining about the kid being in their way.

I shamefully admit that I have done much faster through that section of road, usually with the added caution of keeping an extra close eye on junctions and other areas of risk (bend in the road and parked cars). Its a slight downhill and its quite easy to break 30 on a racing bike after a point. Sadly cars can and do go a lot faster down there. At times when there are very few parked cars about I have been pushing 30 and been overtaken at speed.

I think I'm going to be extra wary down there from now on. There are two schools, one either end of the road, but its such a long road that perhaps I have been lured into a false sense of security.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've done the same sort of thing ... I was doing about 18 mph going to collect my son from school, and a small child ran out from behind a parked car ... luckily I was in the middle of the lane. Shocked all three of us, but I'm not sure I would expect such a young pre-school child to learn from the experience .... me... I reminded myself that I should expect young children near a school gate at that time. Normally I go slower as it means I slow all the traffic outside the school but there wasn't any traffic other than me that day.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I think with parked cars I blame lazy developers for not having the foresight that if you build a bl**dy big house then someone will want to have atleast one car at the premises. And its still going on. I have seen in our local paper that up to 300 houses are planned in Southampton, and several loads of flats proposed.. no idea when or where, but it seems no one considers the implication of cars.

One set of flats in the city center did get it right, and has some secure parking underneath it. Its on a main bus route so that could have something to do with it.

Top Bottom