Nearly scalped a roadie.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
So there I was enjoying a 50 mile hilly ride in the sunshine on my hybrid, loaded down with full panniers. As I rounded a bend there in front of me was a roadie, about 100 yards ahead. Fully expecting never to see him again as he disappeared into the distance I was surprised when round the next bend and starting to climb a long hill he wasn't that far in front. I decided a challenge was in the offing and before the top of the hill I actually caught him. as I pulled past him I was about to wish him a good morning but he beat me to it. "Have you any allen keys, my crank has come loose" he said. Turned out he was virtually only pedalling with one leg so as not to stress the loose crank. Anyway I lent him the tool and he was soon back firing on both legs, leaving me behind in a cloud of dust.

I will get a roadie one day.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Oh, shame! Maybe if you travel lighter you will catch the roadie next time :thumbsup:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Had a similar experience skiing once. I'm of the Nordic / Telemark persuasion, and was piste skiing on rather cross-country oriented skis, then found a local (Canadian) on full on mountain skis really struggling down a "difficult" (for me) slope. I caught up with him feeling rather pleased with my semi elegant skiing to find him only skiing on one ski having broken the other one. Oh well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
So there I was enjoying a 50 mile hilly ride in the sunshine on my hybrid, loaded down with full panniers.

You may, but you'll have to ditch those panniers and the kitchen sink.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
So there I was enjoying a 50 mile hilly ride in the sunshine on my hybrid, loaded down with full panniers. As I rounded a bend there in front of me was a roadie, about 100 yards ahead. Fully expecting never to see him again as he disappeared into the distance I was surprised when round the next bend and starting to climb a long hill he wasn't that far in front. I decided a challenge was in the offing and before the top of the hill I actually caught him. as I pulled past him I was about to wish him a good morning but he beat me to it. "Have you any allen keys, my crank has come loose" he said. Turned out he was virtually only pedalling with one leg so as not to stress the loose crank. Anyway I lent him the tool and he was soon back firing on both legs, leaving me behind in a cloud of dust.

I think there is still some kudos in being there and having the kit they needed. He wouldn't have been able to zoom off if you hadn't been a well prepared cyclist. If you don't have a support team it's as well to carry a multi tool at least. Well done and give yourself a pat on the back I say. :smile:

Top Bottom