Nearly squashed by a lorry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
User3143 said:
So what you are saying is that you had adopting the primary position whilst doing only 66% of the speed limit - not exactly smart.

I someone is not doing 30mph... a pinch point is not a pinch point any more by your logic?

Road position shouldn't be determined by speed alone.

A limit is a limit - not a requirement.

User3143 said:
...has forced the truck to perform a close overtake.

I know what you mean and I'm being a tad pedantic but no-one forces anyone to overtake, close or otherwise. It is always the decision of the overtaker. I wonder if, given that the lorry driver chose to pass in such a way, if a secondary or weak gutter position would have elicited a similar (but by nature of the lack of escape route, more dangerous) pass? We can only guess at that....

With that a real possibility, rather a close pass in primary than the same in the tyre tracks or gutter

As far as the situation goes...video is not always totally accurate. Some of my videos look closer than they are and some close passes look like acres...

I don't think on balance that the video was up there with the really bad passes and perhaps "nearly squashed" is an exaggeration. It seems like pretty much the average low standard of driving, like the pull out on me today that wasn't a life threatener, it was just a pain having to brake and lose momentum in a dip just before an ascent

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
Forget ''But the onus is on the overtaking party'' that is in an ideal world where the trees are green and the birds are singing and the only sound you hear are the gentle hum of rubber on tarmac.This is the real world and you learn to give and take or other wise instances like that close overtake is what will happen.

Trees can be green or not, birds can sing or not but truck drivers should know and obey the law. Dangerous overtaking is illegal even if the person in front of you is only an annoying cyclist.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Matthames said:
I have a lot more detailed picture of what went on than you will ever gather from the video. At 14 seconds the truck was right besides me. At 16 seconds I am taking evasive action by the means of heavy braking, if you look carefully you can see at 16 seconds I am in line with the storm drain and in danger of tripping on the kerb.

It is not just at pinch points that you get the benefit of being in primary. If you are catching up with a vehicle ahead, such as in this instance then it is usually a good idea to get into primary to protect the space in front. This driver once he had taken the space in front of me of which I had to brake hard had to brake hard himself and then continued to tailgate the silver rover up in front. It would of been a lot more prudent of him to have hung back and then overtake me once off the roundabout, 9 times out of 10 that is what most drivers tend to do on that section of road.

How much space were you hoping to protect ? It looked like the car that had overtaken you which you say you were catching up with :blush: was about 100 foot ahead.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Sopt it at 19 seconds. Room for a lorry and a bike?

I am not disagreeing that the lorry did indeed make a closer then necessary overtake but still think that the OP's road positioning was not necessary for the road in question from what can be gained from the video posted.

Top Bottom