Nearly taken out by a white van . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
. . . with red markings!

A bloody ambulance, of all things!

He pulled out with me only about 30 metres from him, going at about 30 kmh!

I gesticulated that he should use his eyes, but he just laughed and shrugged his shoulders! TOSSER! ;)

Has paramedic moved here, I wonder?

Considering most of the mates I have in the NHS refer to cyclists as “healthy organ donors” , I’m not that surprised – glad you’re ok – take care.

domtyler

Über Member
I thought it was generally accepted, certainly in London at least, that Ambulance drivers were among the worst groups of road users for cyclist friendliness. I know I have had many altercations with the idiot jumped up taxi drivers! ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TwickenhamCyclist said:
Considering most of the mates I have in the NHS refer to cyclists as “healthy organ donors” , I’m not that surprised – glad you’re ok – take care.

Oh flippin great....:eek:....that's how they see us that try to keep fit.....and off the long term need.......:biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Stuart Gray's "Paramedic" is less than complimentary about cyclists as a group (as I remember, anyway, I skimmed the section on cyclists whilst the missus had the book from the library).

Maybe it's because they only see things when they've gone terribly wrong? And in such a case, the person left standing is likely to be the one in 2 tons of metal protesting their innocence and the cyclist's irresponsibility.

Or maybe it's just part of the crappy attitude to anyone not in a car that seems to be endemic in this bloody country.

Tetedelacourse

Driving mistakes I can understand and forgive if no harm's done and there's a bit of reticence on the driver's part. It's the attitude of "whatever" that boils my blood. Some of the people who react with that attitude might benefit from having their lives placed in similar danger, to better understand the full picture.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tetedelacourse said:
It's the attitude of "whatever" that boils my blood.
Exactly. I remonstrated with a cab driver over a stupidly close overtake once, and his rationale was that another car had pulled in front of him (he didn't want to hit the car, but was happy to flatten me, evidently).

A lot of drivers seem to consider you fair game if you dare to be on the road, it seems. Others are spectacularly indifferent, and a few actively malicious. It needs to change - I'd love this country to have the sort of attitude to cyclists that prevails in France, for example, but I'm at a loss as to how it would be achieved, given how entrenched the "car is king" mentality is here.

Trillian

John the Monkey said:
I'd love this country to have the sort of attitude to cyclists that prevails in France, for example, but I'm at a loss as to how it would be achieved, given how entrenched the "car is king" mentality is here.

carry a sledge hammer, if you can hit a car with it while its passing you then it must have been too close and you were scared for your life

they'll soon start giving you space

remember, escalation may or may not be the answer :smile:

Tetedelacourse

John the Monkey said:
Exactly. I remonstrated with a cab driver over a stupidly close overtake once, and his rationale was that another car had pulled in front of him (he didn't want to hit the car, but was happy to flatten me, evidently).

A lot of drivers seem to consider you fair game if you dare to be on the road, it seems. Others are spectacularly indifferent, and a few actively malicious. It needs to change - I'd love this country to have the sort of attitude to cyclists that prevails in France, for example, but I'm at a loss as to how it would be achieved, given how entrenched the "car is king" mentality is here.

The only way I can see it happening is once fuel prices become completely out of reach. Known oil reserves are estimated to run dry in around 40 years, and prices will obviously rise exponentially as the reserves decrease. So I guess 20 years until the tide changes :smile: - :sad:

Top Bottom