Neck Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KierCycle1

Hi Guys,

I'm after some advice. I am a reasonable fit guy but i have noticed that when i cycle for extended periods of time ,after hour 3 or so, i seem to get a really sore neck. It feels like my head is almost too heavy for my neck and proper aches despite using deep heat etc.

Does anyone have anything similar and does anyone know of any exercises that may help reduce it?

Thanks in advance!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What kind of bike are you riding? It could just be that you need to slightly alter your position.
If you can get someone to take a side on picture of you on the bke in the riding position we might be able to make a couple of suggestions for things that might help. Whatever you do only alter one thing at a time so you can put it back if it doesn't help or even makes things worse.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you think about it, since humans now walk upright we are used to the weight of the head being supported directly down through the neck. Unless you have a very upright position on your bike, then your head is held in what is for us now a somewhat unnatural position. Muscles are needed to hold the head up and at first they are not used to it.

I used to get the same kind of problems with a stiff and sore neck when I got back into cycling 30 years ago. They got worse when I started wearing a helmet (they were much heavier back then so it was a significant extra weight to hold up).

These days my neck muscles are used to my position on the bike so I can manage 8 or 9 hour rides without too many neck problems. On the rare occasions that I am out for more than (say) 12 hours though I nearly always start to get some discomfort in my neck.

Definitely check that your position on the bike is good, but otherwise you will probably find that the discomfort will go away as you get more used to riding.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you wear a helmet and ride on the drops a lot? Could be you are craning your neck?

Stop regularly while riding, have a stretch, move your head around, shrug your shoulders etc

Perhaps consult a Cycling knowledgeable Physio for assessment, a strengthening and stretching programme, and possibly a fit.

Probably £50 a consult, up to £100 for a fit

Get a sports massage too, probably very tense around the neck and shoulders. Even more so if you work at a desk and have sub optimal posture. I wouldn’t use deep heat regularly until you know what might be the cause

Last edited:
Top Bottom