Need a bike for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bkulacs0410

Is there any 3 speed bicycle with derailleur? I am not a big fan of hub drives and especially with the shifter on the handlebar that comes with.

I’m still looking for a commuter bike, but I want to have at least 3 gears on the back

Is there any 3 speed bicycle with derailleur? I am not a big fan of hub drives and especially with the shifter on the handlebar that comes with.

I’m still looking for a commuter bike, but I want to have at least 3 gears on the back

Why only three speeds?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No, you are probably looking at 8, and maybe a single chain ring for relatively simple commuting. That said, a lot of single chain ring bikes use a wide spaced cassette, so if it's a flat commute you'll use maybe 3 gears. You can, once used to the commute, change said cassette for a more closely spaced one.

I use about 4 gears on my commute on the canal.

OP
OP
B

bkulacs0410

No, you are probably looking at 8, and maybe a single chain ring for relatively simple commuting. That said, a lot of single chain ring bikes use a wide spaced cassette, so if it's a flat commute you'll use maybe 3 gears. You can, once used to the commute, change said cassette for a more closely spaced one.

I use about 4 gears on my commute on the canal.
Yes that’s why I’m looking for a bike with 3 gears only, but would love to avoid those hub ones

Because you don’t need more for urban commuting on flat roads. There are only a few inclines where I’d need to shift, but that’s all. I live in central london and would use it for everyday commute therefore I think 3 gears would be enough. Thank you

I'm not aware of any 3 speed derailleur "normal" bikes, although others will I'm sure let us know if such a beast exists. I understand the need for simplicity but there isn't a rule that you have to use all the available gears on a bike. You may find getting a "normal" bike and using the gears you find comfortable is simpler.

vickster

Legendary Member
If it's flat London commuting, single speed?
£250 Decathlon https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/city-bike-single-speed-500/_/R-p-306292
or an even cheaper 8 speed derailleur bike
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/hybri...rame/_/R-p-323601?mc=8577926&c=BLUE_TURQUOISE

What happened to the rental scheme?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bkulacs0410

If it's flat London commuting, single speed?
£250 Decathlon https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/city-bike-single-speed-500/_/R-p-306292
or an even cheaper 8 speed derailleur bike
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/hybri...rame/_/R-p-323601?mc=8577926&c=BLUE_TURQUOISE

What happened to the rental scheme?
Well, I will want to modify it eventually with a quick swap front wheel electric hub motor when I want to do some Deliveroo and UberEats jobs, but they said it’s a breach in their contract to do so. Even if it’s in the UK limits of 250W and it doesn’t required any drilling or any damage to the bike. It’s a new type from China that works with one cable only. It’s. 5 minute fit

OP
OP
B

bkulacs0410

Attachments

• F010CBA9-47F5-44CA-8F2C-BB1388EB79F0.png
    F010CBA9-47F5-44CA-8F2C-BB1388EB79F0.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 9

vickster

Legendary Member
Well, I will want to modify it eventually with a quick swap front wheel electric hub motor when I want to do some Deliveroo and UberEats jobs, but they said it’s a breach in their contract to do so. Even if it’s in the UK limits of 250W and it doesn’t required any drilling or any damage to the bike. It’s a new type from China that works with one cable only. It’s. 5 minute fit
Don't know anything about dodgy e-bikes (does it even matter what the gears are if it's basically a pedelec?)
...can't you just pedal faster? ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bkulacs0410

Don't know anything about dodgy e-bikes (does it even matter what the gears are if it's basically a pedelec?)
...can't you just pedal faster? ;)
Well, I feel like I can allow myself a little comfort after cycling all day in work. At least when want to do this delivery job on weekends I won’t have to pedal that hard 🙈🤷🏻‍♂️

Top Bottom