Need a little help: Puncture resistant tyres or inner tube additive sludge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I asked about Tannus tyres in my LBS and he said although they will fit them in his experience riders tend to have problems with spokes snapping - which sounds believable. So now I'm not sure if I want Tannus tyres and potentially paying for two wheel rebuilds, when the Conti Gatorskins have been doing a nearly 100% job on a cyclepath which is more glass than tarmac.

Decisions, decisions.

I asked about Tannus tyres in my LBS and he said although they will fit them in his experience riders tend to have problems with spokes snapping - which sounds believable. So now I'm not sure if I want Tannus tyres and potentially paying for two wheel rebuilds, when the Conti Gatorskins have been doing a nearly 100% job on a cyclepath which is more glass than tarmac.

Decisions, decisions.
Yeah, the LBS is right, I've spent thousands of pounds on new spokes since I've had the Tannus tyres fitted. Hardly a meter goes by without a spoke pinging, ohhhh hang on, nope that's completely wrong, I've done over 3000 miles on them, over all sorts of crappy surfaces / pot holes etc, do you know how many spokes I've broken, I'll give you a clue, it's less than 1. The problem is that some people will assume that because they tyres cant puncture, they can ride into holes, and cracks that they normally couldn't / wouldn't, the holes and cracks they hit, because they assume that the tyres / wheels an somehow defy the laws of physics now, would account for a wheel / spokes with a pneumatic tyre as well, the problem is that they would then have a puncture to deal with as well. The tyres can't puncture, but you still have to be careful not to extract the urine regarding bad pot holes and the like.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
That's why I asked,. simple science would suggest that a solid tyre will put more pressure on a single spoke than a fully inflated pneumatic one but obviously one LBS owner isn't going to be particularly objective because by definition he will ride on one type of tyre and so think that is better. I don't doubt if he stocked and rode on Tannus tyres he would think they were better too.

I do worry that my wheels are cheap ones and so may withstand a solid tyre less well than those on a more expensive bike.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yeah, the LBS is right, I've spent thousands of pounds on new spokes since I've had the Tannus tyres fitted. Hardly a meter goes by without a spoke pinging, ohhhh hang on, nope that's completely wrong, I've done over 3000 miles on them, over all sorts of crappy surfaces / pot holes etc, do you know how many spokes I've broken, I'll give you a clue, it's less than 1. The problem is that some people will assume that because they tyres cant puncture, they can ride into holes, and cracks that they normally couldn't / wouldn't, the holes and cracks they hit, because they assume that the tyres / wheels an somehow defy the laws of physics now, would account for a wheel / spokes with a pneumatic tyre as well, the problem is that they would then have a puncture to deal with as well. The tyres can't puncture, but you still have to be careful not to extract the urine regarding bad pot holes and the like.

17?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Hmmm but sometimes you hit one without seeing it .

That's why I asked,. simple science would suggest that a solid tyre will put more pressure on a single spoke than a fully inflated pneumatic one but obviously one LBS owner isn't going to be particularly objective because by definition he will ride on one type of tyre and so think that is better. I don't doubt if he stocked and rode on Tannus tyres he would think they were better too.

I do worry that my wheels are cheap ones and so may withstand a solid tyre less well than those on a more expensive bike.
They aren't actually 'solid' though. The Tannus tyres have a compound in them that traps air in a matrix. There is a world of difference between 'solid' and 'airless', which is a more technically accurate description of the Tannus tyres. Anyway, people tend to form opinions of any unusual tech, without actually trying them, that's human nature, and seems to be much more prevalent in cycling circles. As the old saying goes, don't knock it until you've tried it. I tend to call a spade a spade, if something doesn't work, I'll say so, if it does work, I'll say so, but I won't form an opinion on something I haven't tried.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
They aren't actually 'solid' though. The Tannus tyres have a compound in them that traps air in a matrix. There is a world of difference between 'solid' and 'airless', which is a more technically accurate description of the Tannus tyres. Anyway, people tend to form opinions of any unusual tech, without actually trying them, that's human nature, and seems to be much more prevalent in cycling circles. As the old saying goes, don't knock it until you've tried it. I tend to call a spade a spade, if something doesn't work, I'll say so, if it does work, I'll say so, but I won't form an opinion on something I haven't tried.
I would tend to think it is the fact that the plastic plectrums (not the technical term) that lock the tyre onto the wheel also keep the tyre suspended above the spokes on most wheels so inadvertently air is providing the cushion - something that I assume varies slightly from wheel to wheel. I'm not intending to criticise, to be honest for me "least hassle" is at the top of my cycling priorities list. Punctures are hassle and if Tannus is effectively "hassle free" over the same number of km as the Contis then I'm sold.

I would tend to think it is the fact that the plastic plectrums (not the technical term) that lock the tyre onto the wheel also keep the tyre suspended above the spokes on most wheels so inadvertently air is providing the cushion - something that I assume varies slightly from wheel to wheel. I'm not intending to criticise, to be honest for me "least hassle" is at the top of my cycling priorities list. Punctures are hassle and if Tannus is effectively "hassle free" over the same number of km as the Contis then I'm sold.
Again, that's not quite right. The plastic clips are there purely as a concession to elf n safety, and they don't suspend the tyre, they go through holes through the tyre, sandwiched between the bit that sits in the well and the body of the tyre, at the level of the clincher rim.the tyres were run through the proverbial wringer, by TUV ( German testing and safety people)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TÜV_SÜD

I believe they insisted on the clips, as a fall back. The tyres won't move out of a clincher without intervention from dynamite, but it's always best to be sure. I really dislike Conti tyres with a passion, based on experience, and many thousands of miles. I get given stuff by LBS people, that they get as samples, to test, from manufacturers, from time to time, because they know how much grief I can give components over a period of time, given the routes and mileage I tend to cover in a year. In my opinion ( and it is only an opinion, when all's said and done) Continental bicycle tyres, are some of the worst I've personally encountered, as far as the disconnect between what they claim, and what my experience of them is. Whereas, I ( only ) got a bit of discount on the Tannus tyres, yet they far exceed what Tannus claim / told me to expect from them, as far as I have experienced thus far. It's horses for courses to an extent, but, as someone who operates as a 'blank canvass' and does give components relative hell, I get to know what works, and what doesn't, relatively quickly.

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have Marathon Plus on the CX bike at the mo and Gatorskins on the roadie. So far so good. I changed my tyres as I think that the P-fairy had a personal vendetta against me last summer.
I don't like the feel of slime innertubes, but each to their own.

Top Bottom