Need a little help: Puncture resistant tyres or inner tube additive sludge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why not both? I'd prefer the resistant tyres but maybe my weighting is wrong because I can repair a puncture at the roadside. Unless you get someone to help you go tubeless, I'd strongly suggest the additive that you put in after a puncture because it'll keep until used. It is messy, though, so keep some gloves and wet wipes in your toolkit too. Here's the Zefal version but Aldi and others sell it cheaper:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW0vXnaefhs

wonderloaf

Veteran
Why not both? I'd prefer the resistant tyres but maybe my weighting is wrong because I can repair a puncture at the roadside. Unless you get someone to help you go tubeless, I'd strongly suggest the additive that you put in after a puncture because it'll keep until used. It is messy, though, so keep some gloves and wet wipes in your toolkit too. Here's the Zefal version but Aldi and others sell it cheaper:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW0vXnaefhs

Wot he says .... I run Slime inner tubes with Continental Gatorskins as I hate fixing p*******s at the road side. If I do get a puncture the Slime allows me to carry on cycling until I get home (well unless it's a big hole) and fix it in the comfort of my garage. Of course these all adds weight and affects the feel of the tyres on the road, but is a small price to pay in my opinion.

keithmac

Guru
I've been very impressed with my CST Xpedium Safe+ tyres, accidentally ridden through a few patches of broken glass fully expecting a puncture but managed to avoid them.

Belt and braces as said above, puncture proof tyres with Slime or similar tubes.

johnnyb47

Guru
I've been using slime tubes for quite a while now with no punctures to date. The wheel feels a tad heavier and slightly unbalanced due to the liquid slime inside but it's hardly noticeable whilst on the road.
Wilkos sell them quite cheap compared to other shops.
I've definitely had a few thorns go into the tyre over the winter months as there were tell tale spots a slime residue on the tyre and a slight lose of pressure but once home i had pulled the thorn out and a quick spin of the wheel and it's all sealed again.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Tempting fate here, but 8 years in and only 1 puncture to date. That one was entirely my own fault as I rode over the only sharp rock in the middle of the road while thinking "oh look, there's a squirrel". My secret.... a combination of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and Slime (or similar) self healing inner tubes. Who cares about a few extra ounces on the bike (particularly when you weigh as much as me). Peace of mind.

@Rusty hinge :welcome:
This doesn't work for all, I ride on Continental Gatorskins in something like 18,000 miles the only punctures I have had is to the front none, the rear three, two from pinch punctures (hiting something hard) one of which dented the wheel rim, though the tire manged another 300 miles or so before I replaced it, and the the other towards the end of its life (about 7,000 miles), my current set since Aug haven't had a visit, other dont like them.
I tried a slim filled tube back in 2008 or so never again, but then I can repair roadside if needed.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hi folks
As I am disabled and unable to undertake a roadside puncture repair which should I purchase, puncture resisting tyres or the inner tube additive like sludge.
I ride Durano plus tyres which have a deservedly good reputation for puncture resistance, but I do still get punctures. Not often but they do happen. I've never used slime tubes, but if I absolutely had to avoid punctures, I'd give them a try.

Tubeless tyres may be another (more complicated an potentially expensive) alternative. But I don't know anything about them.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
One of the drawbacks of post-puncture sealants like the zefal canister that I linked to is that it does stick the inner tube to the tyre slightly at the puncture wound.

Those of you using slime tubes: do they suffer the same thing?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you absolutely couldn't cope with a roadside repair, Tannus tyres would be the ultimate option, as even puncture resistant tyres and slime filled tubes can only cope with so much - it would be a fairly extreme situation that defeated both though.

MarkF

Guru
I've been using Marathon M+'s for 8 years + now, commuting, leisure trail riding & touring, all 3 of my bikes currently wear them. The Dawes hybrid must have nearly 10k miles on a set, although the rear is pretty much done. I've never had a puncture since switching to them and haven't carried a pump or repair kit with me for several years. It'd take an unusual run of punctures for me to consider Tannus.

Top Bottom