Need a stronger rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

astrocan

Veteran
Son bought a Cannondale CaadX which has Kinesis CX Crosslight wheels. He brought them to me several times with broken nipples {ally} until I got fed up and replaced the lot with brass. As I had addressed the issue of the weakest link the next thing that happens is that the rims start splitting around the nipple holes. He is clearly too brutal and or hefty for these wheels and I want to build up something stronger. Theres nothing wrong with the hubs but with only 28 spokes I feel that could / should be increased.
I'd be interested in the group opinion on spoke count and recommendations for a good value, strong rim, that would take a tyre between 28 and 35. I've also seen several rims that proport to be strong but are not eyeleted, your thoughts please.
Thanks

si_c

Guru
I'd recommend DT Swiss R460db or R470db (the difference is in the width). Disc brake rims that I've run with 28s for years and easily accomodate a 32 - pretty durable as I'm around 100kg and commute with a backpack and have no problem hopping off curbs with all that weight on the back wheel.

That being said splits around the nipple generally indicate overtightening of the spokes.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I'd recommend Mavic Open Pro rims - got them on my bikes and pretty bombproof - will take 28mm tyres. 32h and 36h options

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Anything 28 or more is generally more than up to the job. I traditionally run 32 or 36 spoke wheels for mtb and commuting but currently running a 24 spoke front wheel for commuting without any issues so may have to reassess the more spokes equals better theory.....

I'm going to suggest rough handling here. I'm 85kg and previously ran 20/24 spokes, front/rear. No issues, even with plenty of cattle grids on my routes. That's now 16/20 and still no issue. Obviously I don't sit on the bike like a sack o'spuds, but let it move under me. Treat the bike well, it will survive most usage.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I would choose DT over Mavic, any day. Mavic are expensive but indifferent these days. I hate building with Open Pros. DT rims build up much more easily. I ran a ceramic front XR4.1 for 7.5 years of commutes and the wheel was just as good when I passed it on to soneone else.

Top Bottom