need a torque wrench

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That time when you get on your bike and you realise your not drunk, but the wheel is pointing in another direction to the bars, good excuse to drop the bars but now I really ought to get my hands on a torque wrench and make sure it's fastened properly.

Note: It didn't work itself loose and out of line, just been on my road bike for the first time since a serious crash, hence the shifted the bars, can't believe I only just noticed (3 weeks on)!

Any recommendations on a torque wrench with a good range for most bike parts?

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I saw one in Planet-X at a very good price and very similar to mine. It covers everything that I need to do with the exception of BB. I don't think there is any that would cover such a large range anyway.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
I saw one in Planet-X at a very good price and very similar to mine. It covers everything that I need to do with the exception of BB. I don't think there is any that would cover such a large range anyway.
Ahh yes I was rather hoping to cover it all, guess I'll need two then! :smile:

zacklaws

Guru
I too use the Giant one and happy with it.

Handlebar to front wheel alignment is one of my biggest bugbears and still never found a good way to do it, I've had canes in the wheel to enhance the alignment of the axle, run a line from back wheel through the saddle centre over center of the stem and lined up with the front wheel, measured from points on the bars to make sure their equal and no matter what, it always looks out of alignment especcially when riding, and both eyes never seem to agree, to me, its a black art, I have thought of making a jig but never got round to it.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I too have the giant one & it seems good, but the planet x one looks identical, different 'badge' & lower price :thumbsup:

Lpoolck

Veteran
You shouldn't use a torque wrench as a breaker bar as it will damage the ratchet and spoil the calibration :smile:

That time when you get on your bike and you realise your not drunk, but the wheel is pointing in another direction to the bars, good excuse to drop the bars but now I really ought to get my hands on a torque wrench and make sure it's fastened properly.

Note: It didn't work itself loose and out of line, just been on my road bike for the first time since a serious crash, hence the shifted the bars, can't believe I only just noticed (3 weeks on)!

Any recommendations on a torque wrench with a good range for most bike parts?
I was watching a Mountain Bike Rider magazine video earlier that mentioned torque wrenches, their recommended range for a torque wrench was 0-20 Nm.

Top Bottom