Need a very simple bike computer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I've just bought an electric bike, but I've go extreme "flat battery paranoia"! I'm worried about getting caught with a flat battery

I'm terrible a judging distance, so I thought I'd get a simple computer for totting up how many miles I've done, which will give me a bit more of an idea of how many miles I've got left.

Any recomendations?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Aldi have simple computers on offer today for £5 or £6. Should do you if you've got a local shop.

Bob Orbell

I've just bought an electric bike, but I've go extreme "flat battery paranoia"! I'm worried about getting caught with a flat battery

I'm terrible a judging distance, so I thought I'd get a simple computer for totting up how many miles I've done, which will give me a bit more of an idea of how many miles I've got left.

Any recomendations?
Pedal it, you may like it. Aldi or Lidl do have some, got one for my Triban, very good, but don't let it rain on them. BOB

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Pedal it, you may like it. Aldi or Lidl do have some, got one for my Triban, very good, but don't let it rain on them. BOB
I am pedalling it. But it is significantly very difficult to do so with a flat battery. Hence I wish to minimise the risk of such an occurrance.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cateye Velo for me. I use wireless without issue but some say wired are more reliable

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Surely the battery has a charge indicator ?
Yes, three LED's 2 green, one red.

What causes the paranoia is the distance between "just turned to one green" and "just about to turn to red".
I rode it out on one green last week, but it had turned to red by the time I needed to come home. It was quite hard going coming back with a low battery.
So I'm thinking, if I suss out how many miles (approx) there is between it dropping to red from one green, I can make a choice about charging it up (or not) more easily.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The best advice with a modern ebike battery - which Sarah has - is to charge it fully for every ride.

The batteries don't like being run down low, although the controller should prevent the user doing any damage by cutting the power before that happens.

Do you have a smart phone? If so "map my ride" will do it (and probably many others).

I love this app.

I dont have a 3g data allowance (I'm PAYG) but GPS is free so it will track your route and distance just by being switched on, when you get home you upload the route if you want.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Do you have a smart phone? If so "map my ride" will do it (and probably many others).
Ah yes, I love map my ride, drains the battery a bit though and i spend more time than is good for me looking at the maps and statistics than is good for me!

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
The best advice with a modern ebike battery - which Sarah has - is to charge it fully for every ride.

The batteries don't like being run down low, although the controller should prevent the user doing any damage by cutting the power before that happens.
Is that right? I'm a bit confused by the battery buisness! Some say you should let it go flat, some say you should never let it go flat. for my part, I'd prefer for it to be fully charged every time I go out, but I don´t want to damage the battery.

Top Bottom