need advice on best rack to fit on to Giant tcr1 that doesn't have holes for a rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Carradice saddlebag has the best weight/volume ratio and is good for hostel touring, esp when combined with a bar bag, which is a quick release stash for your valuables, munchies and map.
The issue of occasional light touring is one very good reason to buy a roadbike with eyelets.

I use Old Man Mountain racks which fit to the Bike using the QR skewer and P clips, in the UK they are marketed by Carradice...http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=category&url=omm

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Heel clearance needs to be considered if you want to use pannier bags.

The rack needs to be mounted far enough back so your heel doesn't clout the pannier bag as you pedal.

No need to worry about that if you only intend to put a luggage bag on top of the rack, although they can foul the underside of the saddle, depending on bag size, rack position and how much seat post is exposed.

andym

Über Member

The rack needs to be mounted far enough back so your heel doesn't clout the pannier bag as you pedal.

Good point. Front pannier bags mounted on the back might be an option if you are traveling light.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Some panniers are shaped to provide heel cutouts.

Indeed, and some can be mounted at a jaunty angle to provide extra heel clearance.

But given the rack is not yet bolted to the bike, we may as well solve the problem before it appears.

How about this stuff;

https://www.apidura.com/

What tcr is it ally or carbon?;I'd be a little weary about clamping stuff on a carbon frame(esp seat posts and seat stays),they are strong but not really designed for too much weight being bolted to them.

Also I've had one of these seat clamp racks crack on me.

Martin710

When I rode to London I got a rear rack that attached only to the seat post. I got this online and it was perfect I was away for four days. It carried everything I needed as I was riding alone too.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
That is a good point -one I'd forgotten about. Purpose built touring bikes usually have longer chainstays over their road bike brethren, so that's a really good point to consider. Also, I think Pale Rider hits a great point with the top bag on a rack -would obviate any issues of pannier heel strike.

No need to worry about that if you only intend to put a luggage bag on top of the rack, although they can foul the underside of the saddle, depending on bag size, rack position and how much seat post is exposed.

andym

Über Member
Heel strike shouldn't really be that big an issue - unless you have very big feet or for some reason you get a rack that will only allow you to position it in really close to the seat tube.

If you're going for a rack, my choice would be the Tubus Fly, which you can get from Rose Bikes in Germany for £45 including shipping:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/tubus-fly-evo-carrier/aid:641616

(although cyclestore seem to have them at reasonable prices as well0.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Bontrager do one that extends the feet down to the hub and puts a longer QR skewer through and a bar into the rear brake assembly to hold it at the top. Its very stable and solid feeling & doesn't interfere with the ride or braking at all.

Quite a narrow set up too so in keeping with a road bike profile but means its more suited to a pannier than rack top bag - tho these do fit and work ok too.

Last edited:

Eurostar

Guru
There are more and more bags for people who don't use racks at all. E.g. Apidura mentioned above by Elybazza. This rack-free movement came from MTB riders who wanted to do off road touring but couldn't use racks because of their suspension. For some reason they don't use the term 'bicycle touring', they call it bikepacking. Silly Americans. But if you google bikepacking there's tons going on with nary a rack in sight. You end up with a higher C of G but better aerodynamics and less weight overall.

Top Bottom