Need alternative LBS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cope

My LBS (which is superb - Sivyer Cycles, Havant, Hampshire) is so popular that I can't get my bike in for a full service before the middle of November.

I'm looking for recommendations - within a reasonable reach (say 20 miles) of Fareham, Hampshire.

My bike is a custom-built audax/tourer, but has been neglected for a few years, as I've mostly been riding fixed, but I've got a lot of riding to do in which I've heavy stuff to carry, so this one's coming out again, but it really needs a thorough overhaul before the Autumn.

Any suggestions?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Velocity Bikes in Cosham. Don't know how long their service wait time is at the moment (the Squadra needs a bit of work, so will find out shortly), but they've always done a good job for me.

OP
OP
C

Cope

Velocity Bikes in Cosham. Don't know how long their service wait time is at the moment (the Squadra needs a bit of work, so will find out shortly), but they've always done a good job for me.
Next full service is the week after next! Maybe everyone is putting their bikes in at once! *kicks self for lack of planning*

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Next full service is the week after next! Maybe everyone is putting their bikes in at once! *kicks self for lack of planning*
Not that bad....it's probably that time of year though, you're right- people have done all these miles in spring & summer, then think...oh, the chain's worn, the brakes are worn.....
That said, with my mileage and four bikes it doesn't take long for one or another to need work!!

OP
OP
C

Cope

I'm away at the end of this week, so Thu or Fri this week would be perfect, so I might carry on looking around. Anyone else have a recommendation?

Pauluk

Smokin Joe said:
Not trying to be funny, but why not buy a basic tool kit and do it yourself? Bikes are simple items with helpful videos on you tube that will show you how to do everything from making your own frame to adjusting a seatpost.

The knowledge learnt is also invaluable when something decides to fall off miles from anywhere.
+1 :thumbsup: and you know it's been done properly too.

OP
OP
C

Cope

Not trying to be funny, but why not buy a basic tool kit and do it yourself? Bikes are simple items with helpful videos on you tube that will show you how to do everything from making your own frame to adjusting a seatpost.

The knowledge learnt is also invaluable when something decides to fall off miles from anywhere.

Agree 100%.

The only (rather lame) answer I have is that I simply don't have the time to do it. I used to do all my own repairs, and build bikes when I didn't have 4 children, a wife, and a business! I'm a bit out of touch, but I've got the tools and the know-how, but finding even a spare hour or two is a real struggle.

I'm in that sad but realistic position where I have more money than time, so it makes sense to pay someone else to do it. What doesn't make sense is to pay someone that I don't trust to do it, hence looking for recommendations.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Agree 100%.

The only (rather lame) answer I have is that I simply don't have the time to do it. I used to do all my own repairs, and build bikes when I didn't have 4 children, a wife, and a business! I'm a bit out of touch, but I've got the tools and the know-how, but finding even a spare hour or two is a real struggle.

I'm in that sad but realistic position where I have more money than time, so it makes sense to pay someone else to do it. What doesn't make sense is to pay someone that I don't trust to do it, hence looking for recommendations.
Fair enough.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
If you can make it to the Southampton area then try Cycleworld in Thornhill, Peter Hansford Cycles in Parkgate, or The Hub in Shirley. Have used all three and found them good for speedy repairs and cost.

byegad

Legendary Member
How about buying the necessary tools and doing it yourself. I've done everything except build a wheel. Truing a wheel is easy enough but I have so far stopped short of building.

Pauluk

byegad said:
How about buying the necessary tools and doing it yourself. I've done everything except build a wheel. Truing a wheel is easy enough but I have so far stopped short of building.
How about reading the thread. Cope says he has the tools and know how, just no time.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Out of interest, how much would you expect to pay in labour costs (excluding materials, obviously) for a full bike service at your LBS ?

OP
OP
C

Cope

If you can make it to the Southampton area then try Cycleworld in Thornhill, Peter Hansford Cycles in Parkgate, or The Hub in Shirley. Have used all three and found them good for speedy repairs and cost.
Thanks - Parkgate is 5 mins from work, so that could work well. Will give them a call tomorrow.

Top Bottom