Need help buying a bash guard/protector

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
My touring bike is being prepped for my ride across the US www.usacycle2018.com

I decided (perhaps unnecessarily!) to replace all the chain rings. Outer two are original (maybe 10k km) middle one half that.

Anyway, I bought three new rings that all seem to fit but the existing plastic bash guard won't fit. The old largest chainring has four holes with a thread in and allen bolts that fit just in and do not protrude. New one as same holes but not threaded

pic here https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu9frkmg4j12jzg/File 06-01-2018, 17 19 09.jpeg?dl=0

Various solutions - suggestions welcome

1 Put old ring back on (it is ok I think!) with old guard
2 Use new ring with no guard. I will be cycling with sandals so that just looks a little too much like a toe/sawmill combination
3 Find some way of fixing the current guard on
4 Buy a different guard of some type
5 Buy new chainset (9 speed) with built in guard)
6 Some other cunning plan!

FWIW it is on Hollowtech II axle. I have seen devices that screw on to the centre of the crank, but needs to be threaded

Any cunning plans?

Jay Clock

alicat

Legendary Member
Forget the bash guard and buy sandals with toe guards. You don't want your toes to go in the spokes either if you come off.

Maenchi

StoneDog
Have you previously caught your feet either on the chain rings or spokes ? if not, don't bother with the bash guard.....and all last summer I rode with regular open toed sandals with no problems or accidents, it's up to you of course, touring the U.S is a lot different to the daily rides from home that I do, having said that when I did go touring years ago I always wore sandals, in Portugal...:smile:

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Can you rivet it on from the inside?
I looked at that. I think there are two issues, one that I think the rivet will protude enough to catch the chain.. other than where the rivet would expand on the plastic bash guard the recess is large and the rivet would not grab due to the hole size.

Current plan is to stick the old ring back on

irw

Quadricyclist
I looked at that. I think there are two issues, one that I think the rivet will protude enough to catch the chain.. other than where the rivet would expand on the plastic bash guard the recess is large and the rivet would not grab due to the hole size.

Current plan is to stick the old ring back on

Fair do's! Alternatively, assuming you'll not want to separate the two again, what about a blob of Araldite on each point where the chainring contacts the guard?

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Fair do's! Alternatively, assuming you'll not want to separate the two again, what about a blob of Araldite on each point where the chainring contacts the guard?
Glue? Had not thought of that. Is any glue actually going to be strong enough to glue plastic to metal?

irw

Quadricyclist
Glue? Had not thought of that. Is any glue actually going to be strong enough to glue plastic to metal?
Yep, Araldite is what you need.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/araldite-2-part-epoxy-adhesive-syringe-opaque-24ml/3870h

Do NOT get it on your fingers...!

Currently holding my car petrol flap onto it's hinge after I caught it on the corner of a skip on my drive...seems to be holding up fine at 70mph, so unless you're cycling at superman speed, it should do the trick.

Top Bottom