Need help choosing a hybrid bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chazfem

I havn't really cycled much since I was a kid but am looking to get back into it to lose some weight. I'm not really looking for a real performance bike, just a decent one that won't give me too much trouble. I'll probably be riding on roads mostly but the roads around here are of the bumpy pot-holey kind so I figure a hybrid would be best suited to my needs.

I like the look of these 2 bikes and would like your opinion on which is better.

1. http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/raleigh-edale-womens-hybrid-bike
or
2. http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike...imited-edition-womens-hybrid-bike-2015-silver

Apparently the Carrera has better gears although the Raleigh does have decent enough gears. I like the look of the saddle and the handlebar position an on the Raleigh. I also prefer the thinner wheels. The Carrera tyres look more like a mountain bike type. The main thing that is making me consider the Carrera is the fact that it is half price and therefore must be a bargain! It's also almost exactly the same as the subway which i've heard great things about. Would the Carrera be a better option? If so why? Or should I go for what looks best to my very untrained eye?

Also I'm open to suggestions if there are any other models you think might be good in that kind of price range (under 300 euros).

P.S. I'd be happy to get a second hand one that was in decent condition but I really don't know enough about bikes to know what I'm buying from a private seller, I'd probably get done!

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
If you're sticking to tarmac I think the Raleigh is the better bet. It's 3kg lighter and will roll along easier on those tyres. Gearing is pretty much identical between the two - you have a lowest gear of 28/28 to help you winch yourself up the steeper stuff. My hybrid is a Claud Butler of a similar set up to the Raleigh, and I'd recommend one to anybody.

OP
OP
C

Chazfem

Thank you for your replies. I'm pleased because the Raleigh is the one I was thinking would suit me ^_^

But just to through a spanner in the works, my partner told me about this website this evening so I had a peek and quite like the look of this one:

http://gilligan-cycles.myshopify.co...astello-capri-ladies-alloy-flat-bar-road-bike

It's a road bike not a hybrid so I'm not sure if it would be up to bumpy roads...what do you think? I've looked up the model and this seems quite a cheap price too.
He also said he's part exchange for my rusty old heap out the back so should get an even better price. Can't see a weight anywhere but as a road bike its probably
lighter or at least the same as the hybrid, although I would check before buying of course.

P.S. How cool is this bike! Shame it's a mens one :sad:

http://gilligan-cycles.myshopify.com/products/21-speed-alloy-hybrid-bicycle

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Thank you for your replies. I'm pleased because the Raleigh is the one I was thinking would suit me ^_^

But just to through a spanner in the works, my partner told me about this website this evening so I had a peek and quite like the look of this one:

http://gilligan-cycles.myshopify.co...astello-capri-ladies-alloy-flat-bar-road-bike

It's a road bike not a hybrid so I'm not sure if it would be up to bumpy roads...what do you think? I've looked up the model and this seems quite a cheap price too.
He also said he's part exchange for my rusty old heap out the back so should get an even better price. Can't see a weight anywhere but as a road bike its probably
lighter or at least the same as the hybrid, although I would check before buying of course.

I've never come across Castello bikes and Google doesn't give much away. That's not to say they're crap. If it were me I'd go with something more reputable, but hey, have a ride of them and see which you prefer.

Argh...my eyes! :eek:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've never come across Castello bikes and Google doesn't give much away. That's not to say they're crap. If it were me I'd go with something more reputable, but hey, have a ride of them and see which you prefer.

Agreed.

One thing in the Castello's favour over the other two is the 24 gears.

You might not need the extra number, but Shimano 24 speed bikes - which the spec says is on the Castello - have a freehub rear axle design which is much more durable than the freewheel on 21 speeds.

It may also go some way to explain why the bike is more expensive than the Raleigh.

Is the retailer - Gilligans - local to you?

If so, that's another benefit - assuming they know what they are doing.

All bikes need a bit of attention now and again, so a good local bike shop will be very useful to you in the coming months and years.

It follows that if Gilligans is not local, but another shop is, it would be worth having a look at what they have.

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

vickster

Legendary Member

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I have had a couple of Kona Dew City bikes in the last 4 years and found them very good :smile: . Worth a look maybe?

vickster

Legendary Member
I think chain reaction cycles in northern Ireland sell too so not as far to go if wanting to see in the metal

MikeW-71

Veteran
The main thing that is making me consider the Carrera is the fact that it is half price and therefore must be a bargain!
Don't fall into that trap, the Carrera is worth pretty much what they are selling it for, it's definately not worth double that. It's a common ploy by retailers to price something very high for a few weeks, then sell it for "50% off" to make it look like a massive bargain. Halfords seem to employ this a lot more than normal.

There's nothing wrong with the Carrera as a bike, but out of the two you posted, I think the Raleigh is better.

Cyclist33

Psssh, all bar my "old lady" bike are men's bikes. I refuse to pay a £100-£200 premium just so I don't have to lift my leg a tiny bit higher.
In my experience ladies bikes are usually less expensive for equivalent models. I put this down to men being gullible suckers easily seduced by marketing and ideas of inanimate objects being sexier than their wives.

OP
OP
C

Chazfem

Is the retailer - Gilligans - local to you?

If so, that's another benefit - assuming they know what they are doing.

All bikes need a bit of attention now and again, so a good local bike shop will be very useful to you in the coming months and years.

It follows that if Gilligans is not local, but another shop is, it would be worth having a look at what they have.

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Gilligan's is fairly local to me yes, my boyfriend knows the guy from work. I'm nervous about buying an unrecognized brand though, I think you guys are right and I should stick to a reliable brand.

That doesn't matter in principle if the bike is available in the right size and fits you, although as it's only available in a 58cm you'd need to be over 6ft.

However, don't ignore all 'men's' (i.e. unisex) bikes. You'd just need a new women's saddle which you can get for £20 or so

I actually prefer the look of mens bikes, also I've noticed that all road bikes seem to have that top bar on them anyway! So I guess it's just an outdated tradition to have the lower bar.

Now I'm aware that I started this thread looking for a hydrid, but I keep spotting road bikes that I like! I prefer the look of them, I'm just a bit worried that they look so delicate.
I think this one looks a good deal.

http://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for...dition-with-helmet-and-bike-pump/8993215?sv=1

Berk on a Bike said claud butler are good and it comes with a helmet, pump and gauge for the same price as the Raleigh. Also is that a light I see on the handlebars? Or a camera? Either way, nice!
Assuming he's not keeping those that's a good deal imo. He says the bike has been recently serviced, that the model is Criterium and that it has a 20 inch frame. Now I'm 5'7" and my inside leg measures
31 inches. According to charts I need a bike that is 19 inches. Would this be a viable choice? Or is that extra height just a bit too much for me? I know I need to be careful about this because the last time I
bought a bike I went to a second hand shop and the owner insisted I needed a man's bike (I was too afraid to ask if this was because of my height or my weight...I was about 14st at the time) The one he
pushed on me had a 22inch frame and was way too big for me. I liked the way it rode but because I could only just reach the ground with my tippy toes I felt unsafe when riding it. I bought it to cycle to and
from uni in heavy traffic and the fact that I had to lean the bike to the side everytime I had to stop so as to get my foot flat on the ground made me sweat, I felt like I was going to fall into oncoming vehicles.
As a result I only rode it a handful of times. I was only young and I guess he saw me coming, I'm kinda angry at that guy now but I think 8 years is passed the time limit to complain :blink:

Learnincurve

Although the frame may have been too big for you the saddle height may have been right, I can barely touch the ground when I'm on my road bike. It all boils down to the angle of your knee when the pedal is at the highest position, it must be angled down or you will utterly ruin your knees/smack yourself in the chin.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I actually prefer the look of mens bikes, also I've noticed that all road bikes seem to have that top bar on them anyway! So I guess it's just an outdated tradition to have the lower bar.
The low bar on the Raleigh makes it almost a "step through" design that has been traditional for ladies bikes, as it allows you to ride them wearing a dress. Womens road bikes however have the top tube in exactly the same place as mens bikes (you don't ride a road bike in a dress), and many more womens bikes are moving away from the step-through design.

Top Bottom