Need help cyclists :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
The answer to cyclist's safety is firmly in the hands of the drivers of motor vehicles. Our lives would be much more enjoyable if the danger posed to us by drivers was removed, or at least minimised. Close over-takes, red-light jumping, left turn swipes. We need to change their behaviour. Permanently.

What's required is an electric shock delivery system fitted to every car in the land which may be activated remotely by anyone with the approved radio transmitter.

If you witness dangerous or slightly discourteus driving simply point the device at the vehicle, pull the trigger and 415 volts will be delivered through their perineum.

I think this is the only viable solution to the danger posed to cyclists and pedestrians by errant motorists.

Some drivers might see this as a reward not a punishment
whistling.gif

Thank you.

Do you think it would be good for cyclists?

I mean if the driver of the car knew that their was a cyclist nearby they would have to be cautious. There would be no instances where the driver could say 'I didn't know you were there because the car has alerted them of a cyclists presence.

Ash

I think it would be a disaster as they would stop looking for cyclists assuming the technology will do it for them. For that to work you would have to have a very very low false negative rate and I can't think of a technology that would reliably identify a cyclist to give you that.

I find that cyclists need educating - not the other way round - the majority of motorists are observant and respectful to cyclists - its cyclists ( not all of them ) that are their own worst enemy - i have flashing lights front and rear which are on at all times - i believe that when motorists see them it says that i know that the roads are dangerous - they do give me a respectable wide berth - they realize that i have taken time to show my presence on the road so that it easy for them to see me.

A wee device that sits under my saddle - set so that the engine management system for any motor vehicle that comes within 3 feet of a bike SHUTS OFF for 6 hours in the first instance, 24 hours in the second, and permanently the third.

National gridlock within 15 minutes.

Hmm. Something that prevents - or at least helps to prevent - close passes would be good, but I have no idea of an engineering solution...

I can think of systems that react as the car passes, but is it too late by then. For example how about a sensor on the rear wheel hub, which sets a bright light off on the handlebar edge if someone is passing too close? But as I say, maybe a bit late by then.

henshaw11

Hmm. Something that prevents - or at least helps to prevent - close passes would be good, but I have no idea of an engineering solution...

I can think of systems that react as the car passes, but is it too late by then. For example how about a sensor on the rear wheel hub, which sets a bright light off on the handlebar edge if someone is passing too close? But as I say, maybe a bit late by then.

Dunno if they're accurate enough, but I guess you could use existing parking sensors to say 'oi, that was a crap overtake, yer being a cock' - whilst too late for that particular overtake, as feedback it might help. As far as the general idea about alarms for cyclists present - most drivers *tend* to be ok, but the planks that pull close overtakes, overtake on blind corners, at pinch points etc - do so despite seeing that you're there. They'd probably just turn off any warning system...

>I can't think of a technology that would reliably identify a cyclist to give you that.

It's easy enough *if* you assume cyclists carry a transponder. but it's a bit crap to expect them to do so to make up for drivers lack of awareness (eg some f***ing chump pulling across the traffic in front of me this evening but still didn't realise there was an Airzound going off....curiously nr Staines nick,I wonder if he'd been pulled for some infringement and was leaving after producing his documents...)

Danny

Legendary Member
How about some kind of cheap tracking device you could hide on your bike so that you could locate it in the event of it being stolen.

Je ta Dawes

a late night drinking session produced the following ideas. Sobriety found a large number of reasons not to create them.
1. led display on cycle jacket linked wirelessly to speedo on bicycle telling people behind you how long it will take to pass you at 30 mph - to stop people thinking that they can just nip past you before the keep left bollard
2. led display on jacket linked to speedo showing your speed - just to shown off
3. on- bike espresso maker using your effort to create boiling water (no idea how)
4. a button controlled extendable stick to come out from the side of the handlebars to knock on cars coming too close - with an indelible ink pad as an optional extra
5. proximity alarm on cycle which doesn't set off noise but really brigh flashing lights all over

i'll get me coat....

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Firstly thanks for posting and for choosing this as your subject at uni etc..

My experience tells me that drivers are a bunch of selfish ignorant and incompetent bunch for the most part. 90% of them would happily kill a cyclisy and think nothing of it other than to pass the blame onto the cyclist. Having a gizmo in their tin cans wont help i feel, in fact it will likely stop mos tof them from even bothering to try and look as they will simply rely on their gizmo...bit like idiots who rely on rear view camera to reverse into aspace..

90% of road cyclists already do as much as possible to keep themselves safe..the problem is 100% in th emotorists court. They ahve to be educated, held to account and punished. IN my opinion th eonly way they weill WAKE UP is if the law changes dramatically making any contact with a cyclist automatically the crivers fault in law no matter what. Hit them in the pocket HARD..then lock them up. I also feel that ALL drivers should be forced buy law to ride on our roads as a cyclist as part of the driving test.

Personally I like the idea of being allowed to carry a stun gun to wipe them out...but thats unlikely ...well not until I am prime minister anyway.

Ok...

so to the question of what qizmo might help...

an engine disabler triggered whenever they get within 0.5 m of a cyclist

A 'black box' type thing to record events like on a plane

Something that transmits registration details, speed, time ,place etc to the cops when within 0,5m of a cyclist..resulting in instant points on licence..as well as evidence in case of accidents

Having to log in to the car as driver each journey to avoid being able to claim they werent driving it

all of those gizmos will require cycists to carry a small device ..that neds to be free for th ecyclist ans well as tiny...no bigger than a writst watch. The cost of all of these gizmos MUST be funded by the motorist and th emanufacturers.

...othe rthings that will help:

any contact with a cyclist will by law mean no insurance company is ever allowed to insure them on th eroads ever again.

a zero tolerance policy by police towrds harrasing cyclists by motorists = instant disqualification

Hawk

Veteran
A reliable, lightweight and above all very loud horn would be a useful safety feature. There are some on the market but I haven't seen any that look ideal and I think more could be done to develop better ones.

Absolutely spot on.

I have just started a project to fit an allegedly 115dB motorbike horn to my bike. Not that expensive or difficult to do with a small amount of electronics knowhow.

Importantly:

1) I MUST be able to sound the horn whilst keeping my hands on my brakes.
2) The horn must sound like a car horn. This is vital, drivers react instinctively without thinking to the sound of a car horn in certain situations - if a driver is edging out on to a roundabout or out of a junction and they hear a car horn, they usually freeze instantly because they think they're at risk of a collision with another 1 tonne vehicle. I don't want to make motorists hear "a noise" and have to think about the source of this noise and its meaning, I want them to hit the brakes instantly.
3) It needs to have a status light. Need to know the horn will DEFINITELY work when I need it.
4) There need to be several horn-sounding buttons.. I sometimes ride using drop bars and at other times keep my hands nearer my frame. (I have brakes on both). I will be installing four switches for that.
5) For me, the horn must be very very loud. I trust myself to use it only in safety-critical situations, not in anger etc
6) The horn should probably output a suitably loud sound to in at least 270 degrees, in front of me and round my sides.

Top Bottom