Need Help deciding which hybrid bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Afternoon, new to the forum and after some much needed advice before I splurge £400-£700 on a bike.
I’m ideally after something with a front suspension fork (however can be persuaded otherwise) as id be using for road/canal paths/gravel roads.
I’m 6”4, 110kg so ideally need something in a Large/XL.
So far I’m swaying towards the B-Twin Riverside 920 as it ticks a lot of boxes and gets good reviews. Again though I’m open to any suggestions (ideally stuff in stock).

thanks in advance

OP
OP
D

Danknott15

Forgot to mention, I’ll be attaching a child seat to the back for our 15 month old, so needs to be something comfortable.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Welcome @Danknott15

Sounds like you have done some research which is always good to see

Do you have any local bike shops open near to you so you can go and try anything they might have in stock ?

Smudge

Veteran
I would say you dont need front suspension for that type of riding, rigid forks are also lighter and you're free from any problems or servicing of suspension forks
But as you're tall, a bike with front suss may fit you better if you like the bars higher. Depends on your preferred riding position, but its something to bear in mind.

tom73

Guru
Trek FX range may suit you. Mrs 73 loves hers and should do all you want.
Don't know if any of the stores are open but some look to be as they are doing store pick up.

OP
OP
D

Danknott15

Nothing currently open near me unfortunately. It looks like most bikes in large/XL are either out of stock or on back order. Only real bike I can see in stock is the Riverside 920; but is it actually any good? (I know it won commuter bike of the year, but wanted some feedback of people who have it)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Danknott15 can't help with a review there must be a few people on here that have used them ?

But in all seriousness the Whyte Cambridge that @vickster links above are great quality bikes so i would give that some consideration for sure . The marins are a good brand as well but again no experience of actual model

Last edited:

Midsrider

Hi @Danknott15 ,
I have been looking at the Riverside series for a while now, and mainly the 920. I have store rode the 900 and 920 series and loved them both. Of course the 920 is the more superior bike and the spec is great, especially as they come with the Mavic wheels too.
My only downside on the 920 bike is that they are still using the Tektro hydraulic disc breaks over a better make, especially as the price jumped up from £599 to £649 soon as the lockdown happened and no change in spec....for a bike thats been out a while i would have imagined the bike to have come down in price, not hiked up.

The reason I didn't buy a riverside bike is when I was looking several people told me new models were coming out, and yes this has happened on the 900 models and they do look very nice, and the B-Twin logo down the side has been replaced with Riverside, but i much preferred the B-Twin, riverside....feels a little like a lodge or country cottage name! (sorry!....just my mind thinking)

I have heard the 920 is having an overhaul too....so maybe the £649 price increase is on the newer modelling with the Riverside logo on the side? not sure.

Another reason why I also never bought the 920 sooner is 3 stores I went to to buy one, either had a scratch on the frame....or a dirt all in the tyres as it was lent to a member of staff....and another store used the one in the store as a staff bike to use daily and was full of dirt.

I have not seen 920 on sale at all anywhere in the UK for a while?

Also I know a lot of expert cyclists always recommend no front suspension, but on the cycling I do which is the same as yours - canal paths (rare) bumpy roads, some grass tracks following my sons and road use - suspension for me has been valuable and I would always go for it, but yes as a rule of thumb, they are lighter without and good forks can be good too - its all personal I think.

I would look at Trek DS2/3 or Trek FX2/3 range. Solid bikes and check if your local bike shop have them in stock. Goodluck!
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/hybrid-bikes/c/B528/

Amac

Hi ya,
I would agree with the earlier comment, don't worry about front suspension, I was talked into it on my Marin hybrid as I ride canal paths and all that.
To be honest I do not think it makes much difference and just adds weight you don't need...

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi ya,
I would agree with the earlier comment, don't worry about front suspension, I was talked into it on my Marin hybrid as I ride canal paths and all that.
To be honest I do not think it makes much difference and just adds weight you don't need...
Looks like s/he bought a mountain bike (due to difficulties getting a hybrid)

Top Bottom