Need Help Finding Correct Rear Rack & Set Of Fenders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crevice

I just bought a 2022 Motobecane Strada Express X4 22.5" bike. I would like to add fenders but I'm unsure wear to look for decent ones that look good. It would be nice if they matched my bike frame color (matte silver) but I suppose I'll have to get black (prefer matte black).

I also would like to find a rear rack. I've seen several types. Some that have bags that can lock into place on the top fender board. Several say they fit 26-29" frames. Mines says it's a 22.5 so I don't know what to do.

strada-expx4-mttig-21-01-01-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like you have standard rack and fender eyelets.
SKS Chromoplastic fenders are best. Get the right width. They come in silver or black.

I like to keep my rack simple. You can get top brackets to fit a locking bag. If you get the bracket built in you are tied to one type.
I like racks to have non adjustable legs, open frame tops not top plates.
The rack needs to be compatible with standard lockung pannier mounts which clip over rod or tube. These mounts do not fit if the rack has sections of twin rod welded together along the mounting area.
Tubus are a reliable source but you can get cheaper ones that work well.
Rear lamp bracket is a useful addition.

The linked rack has a long, untriangulated leg sticking down that is adjustable. No matter how stiff the rest of the rack structure is, the leg will flex .

Note that you have a disk brake in the MTB location. This might fit a std rack but may need extra space from a disk-rack like Topeak Explorer.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looks like you have standard rack and fender eyelets.
SKS Chromoplastic fenders are best. Get the right width. They come in silver or black.

I like to keep my rack simple. You can get top brackets to fit a locking bag. If you get the bracket built in you are tied to one type.
I like racks to have non adjustable legs, open frame tops not top plates.
The rack needs to be compatible with standard lockung pannier mounts which clip over rod or tube. These mounts do not fit if the rack has sections of twin rod welded together along the mounting area.
Tubus are a reliable source but you can get cheaper ones that work well.
Rear lamp bracket is a useful addition.

The linked rack has a long, untriangulated leg sticking down that is adjustable. No matter how stiff the rest of the rack structure is, the leg will flex .

Note that you have a disk brake in the MTB location. This might fit a std rack but may need extra space from a disk-rack like Topeak Explorer.
The Topeak 'slide lock' racks will take standard panniers as well as the top bags, 2 of my bikes have them and I tour with 2 big Carradice panniers as well as the top bag.

They're a bit on the 'pricey' side but very high quality.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I recently added 'guards, a rack and panniers to my commuter hack. The mudguards are SKS Bluemels and they are currently solid and silent (despite being used almost exclusively offroad). I would also put in a word for a previous set of mudguards I had on a winter road bike - M:Part Primoplastics which, again, ran silent through all conditions.

The rack is a little bit different to the norm but is nicely made - a German brand called Racktime (specifically this one); they offer a snap-on system for accessories but I don't use this, I just clip panniers on using the normal clip-to-the-top-bar arrangement.

The panniers I love - they are by UPSO, a sub-brand of Carradice that uses old truck curtain sides, fire hoses and seatbelts to make simple but effective luggage. The mounting system is the Carradice one which is secure and simple The panniers have no pockets, padding or anything other than a decent-sized volume closed by a roll-top system. I have used them in a persistent driving drizzle whilst riding offroad and everything stayed dry - I simply hosed them off afterwards.
Saracen 1.jpg

Saracen 2.jpg

Saracen 3.jpg

Saracen 4.jpg

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

I will be removing my quick detach front wheel a lot for transport. Is there anything I need to keep in mind about that when choosing a fender?

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

Not really, although having a front mudguard (fender) attached means that it will be more bulky and awkward to transport with the wheel off.

I wish there were quick release front fenders.

figbat

Slippery scientist
They are relatively quick release but I’m not sure I’d want to remove and refit them routinely.

Some mountain bike mudguards are easy to fit and remove but usually offer less protection from mud than a full guard.

Sks have a safety release clip which is essential for any tough plastic fender . If you catch an obstruction the catch releases and you dont go endover the bars.
When you remove the front wheel the fender still takes up a lot of space but it depends on the orientation of the bars.

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

Sks have a safety release clip which is essential for any tough plastic fender . If you catch an obstruction the catch releases and you dont go endover the bars.
When you remove the front wheel the fender still takes up a lot of space but it depends on the orientation of the bars.

I saw that. I just ordered these SKS fenders. Hopefully they will fit OK. I want the fender the same space from the wheel all over not just close near the middle and high on the ends. Also hopefully they're quiet.

I may also go with this rack, not sure yet. I'll wait until after I fit the fenders to get the rack. I wish it was available on Amazon though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom