Need Help On Picking Correct Adjustable Stem Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crevice

I may be looking to put a different stem on my bike and I'm not sure what measurements I need to insure that it will properly fit my bike. So far I've only looked at stems on this website. Thanks!

From my bike page:
KALLOY 70MM(15"~17")/90MM(20"~22.5") x7 DEGREES, ALLOY BLACK Aluminum threadless

s-l400 (1).jpg

Capture+_2021-11-20-18-19-21.png

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
The two you've shown us are not interchangeable, so I think we need a picture of your old head and stem to confirm which.

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

The two you've shown us are not interchangeable, so I think we need a picture of your old head and stem to confirm which.

The two I pictured were just 2 of the ones I was interested in while browsing that website I mentioned. The data listed below was pulled off of my bike specs. The photo below is my bike. It's currently at a shop so I can't taken more photos at the moment.

From my bike page:
KALLOY 70MM(15"~17")/90MM(20"~22.5") x7 DEGREES, ALLOY BLACK Aluminum threadless

Sharky

Guru
You need one like the second photo.
They all have the same size at the fork end, but be aware that there are two sizes for the clamp at the bar end. If your bars have a bulge near the clamp, then you need the larger dimension.

I've used adjustable stems in the past, but can be a bit fiddly to adjust and can work loose. How much higher do you want the bars to be? An alternative would be to buy a stem with a greater angle. You can get them up to 45 degrees. But before you buy anything, has your stem been flipped to give the greater angle upwards?

Good luck

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My first road bike was a Specialized Secteur, in about 2010. It came with a really clever 110mm stem that could be adjusted to +/- angles 8 degrees by moving a clever internal shim. I'm sure that something like that must still be around. The stem length matters too. I was really uncomfortable with 110mm to start with, went to 80mm, and now I'm back on 100mm.
I'm still pretty hopeless, BTW.

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

You need one like the second photo.
They all have the same size at the fork end, but be aware that there are two sizes for the clamp at the bar end. If your bars have a bulge near the clamp, then you need the larger dimension.

I've used adjustable stems in the past, but can be a bit fiddly to adjust and can work loose. How much higher do you want the bars to be? An alternative would be to buy a stem with a greater angle. You can get them up to 45 degrees. But before you buy anything, has your stem been flipped to give the greater angle upwards?

Good luck

I am just entertaining the idea of getting one right now. The bike is still being assembled at the shop. I haven't even ridden it. I haven't even sat on it but I know that I'm at the top end of the size for the bike and I would just like flexibility in how I can adjust the handlebars if needed. I don't know that I will need to adjust them at all yet I'm just thinking ahead. I'm not purchasing anything right now.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ride the bike first, you may not need to change anything

DiggyGun

I am just entertaining the idea of getting one right now. The bike is still being assembled at the shop. I haven't even ridden it. I haven't even sat on it but I know that I'm at the top end of the size for the bike and I would just like flexibility in how I can adjust the handlebars if needed. I don't know that I will need to adjust them at all yet I'm just thinking ahead. I'm not purchasing anything right now.

Why not try it for size and fit at the LBS before it’s finally assembled. That way
you will know and they can adjust accordingly.

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

Why not try it for size and fit at the LBS before it’s finally assembled. That way
you will know and they can adjust accordingly.

I don't think sitting on a disassembled bike would help. They are very busy and have a backlog of bike work. Mine won't be ready for about a week, if sooner they'll call.

Last edited:
Top Bottom