Need help starting out.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zico76

Hi, I would like to start cycling with the view to eventually doing duathlons. I don't however own a bike at the moment and I'm unsure about what kind of bike to get. I really just want to get a cheap bike to try some cycling for the next few months and then if I get serious about it I can get myself a better bike.

I'm willing to pay up to £150 at the moment but don't know if I should just get a cheap mountain bike or a cheap road bike. Halfords and Tesco have both type of bikes for under £150 at the moment and while I know they won't be up to much long term, would they be any good short term? I've also tried places like ebay and gumtree but can find nothing suitable nearby.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MattHB

Proud Daddy
You'll get more bike for the buck 2nd hand at that budget. Lots and lots around, just try to make sure it's not stollen

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What sort if riding will you be doing?
If you are riding mainly on cyclepaths, the road and maybe the odd bit of gravel track you do not really need suspension as at the lower end of the market they might give a bit more comfort but they add weight and you tend to get a bouncing effect as you pedal sucking your power.
For £150 you will definetly be looking at a steel framed bike unless you go 2nd hand , the style of bike will depend on what you want from a bike MTB/hybrids give a more upright position compared to road bikes that have drop handlebars that offer more hand positions and tend to have you bent over more .

I would avoid tesco bikes as supermarket offering tend to be cheap for a reason , because they are made of cheese and can be unsafe.Halfords bikes depend on what you buy but the carrera range always get good reviews.
Have you got a decathlon store near you ? their bikes are well regarded on here and you can test ride them arround the shop.
If you have little experience of bikes then i would avoid buying second hand unless you know someone who knows a bit about bikes because you can spend a lot of money bringing a bike up to scratch if it needs new gears,chains, brakes, tyres etc .

OP
OP
zico76

zico76

It'll be mainly cycle paths and roadways I'll be on and in the future I'd like to do road races, but for the moment I just want something cheap to see if I enjoy cycling out on country roads and the odd journey into work (which is only 2.5 miles away).

Nebulous

Guru
Do you know anyone to borrow one from? There are lots of people who buy a bike and never get into it. Borrowing one for a coule of weeks will give you an opportunity to see if you enjoy it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It'll be mainly cycle paths and roadways I'll be on and in the future I'd like to do road races, but for the moment I just want something cheap to see if I enjoy cycling out on country roads and the odd journey into work (which is only 2.5 miles away).
where are you based in the country as there might be a member on here who might be able to help out

stephen.rooke

keep saving, buy cheap buy twice. look for a lightweight roadbike

Top Bottom