Need help to find a replacement of a crank set on my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Welcome to cycle chat.

Maybe terminology, but what exactly is wrong with your crankset?
The chain rings look as if they are bolted on, so you may only need to buy new rings.
Likewise, if it is your crankset that has expired, you might be able to just replace the cranks and keep the rings you have.

Or is it the bearings in the bottom bracket that have gone.

Describe exactly what the issue is and I'm sure there will be experts on here that will advise.

Cheers

Reactions: C R

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
is it
FSA Mega Exo 68mm Shell Bottom bracket ?

1591200749690.png

OP
OP
C

cmmyt

Welcome to cycle chat.

Maybe terminology, but what exactly is wrong with your crankset?
The chain rings look as if they are bolted on, so you may only need to buy new rings.
Likewise, if it is your crankset that has expired, you might be able to just replace the cranks and keep the rings you have.

Or is it the bearings in the bottom bracket that have gone.

Describe exactly what the issue is and I'm sure there will be experts on here that will advise.

Cheers
Hi mate thanks for the reply and the guy at the shop said i need to replace my chain, cassette and crank set ive already found the chain and cassette just need to find a replacement for the crank set.

He said if i get a new chain (I need a new chain) i will need to get a new cassette and crank set with it

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you need a new crankset or just the rings if they’ve worn alongside the chain and cassette?
And you may not need both/all 3 rings if only one is worn. How many miles have you done on the chain/cassette/rings..or bike if never changed.
I’d get back to the shop and ask

OP
OP
C

cmmyt

Do you need a new crankset or just the rings if they’ve worn alongside the chain and cassette?
And you may not need both/all 3 rings if only one is worn. How many miles have you done on the chain/cassette/rings..or bike if never changed.
I’d get back to the shop and ask
Hi mate ive done crazy miles on the bike it needs a new crank set

Sharky

Guru
Hi mate thanks for the reply and the guy at the shop said i need to replace my chain, cassette and crank set ive already found the chain and cassette just need to find a replacement for the crank set.

He said if i get a new chain (I need a new chain) i will need to get a new cassette and crank set with it
If fitting a new chain, it is often, but not always a good idea to replace the cassette. But usually the chain rings will last a bit longer. However if the little ring is 27t, could well be worn. But the big ring at 42t should out live a couple of chain replacements.

I would be tempted to fit the new chain and cassette and see how it rides, then perhaps just replace the 27t at the front.

However the mechanic at the shop could have spotted some serious damage so his advice could be correct or might just be after your money.

Either way, hope you get it sorted.

OP
OP
C

cmmyt

If fitting a new chain, it is often, but not always a good idea to replace the cassette. But usually the chain rings will last a bit longer. However if the little ring is 27t, could well be worn. But the big ring at 42t should out live a couple of chain replacements.

I would be tempted to fit the new chain and cassette and see how it rides, then perhaps just replace the 27t at the front.

However the mechanic at the shop could have spotted some serious damage so his advice could be correct or might just be after your money.

Either way, hope you get it sorted.
Where can i find a crankset that will fit i cant find one anywhere the only one i can find it takes a month delivery like i dont understand all the sizing and stuff

vickster

Legendary Member
Where can i find a crankset that will fit i cant find one anywhere the only one i can find it takes a month delivery like i dont understand all the sizing and stuff
Can’t the shop source one for you?
at the moment, you may unfortunately just have to wait if ordering yourself

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom