Need help with choosing new groupset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AliShah2020

Hi fellow cyclists,

I'm looking to upgrade an old bicycle with a new groupset. I don't need anything fancy. Cheap, reliable and cheerful suggestions please.

It current has a 3 x 6 gearing. Can you please give me an idea on how much a new groupset would cost? Does it come as a whole package? Or do I need to buy the parts seperately?

I need: new 1 x chainring, happy with less than 10 gears, new chain, new gear shifters, new crankset.

Could you give me a rough idea on spend? Trying to decide if its worth salvaging the bike or simply buying a new one.

This is my first major project/upgrade.

Thanks for your help! 🙂✌🏼

Attachments

• 20210206_141313.jpg
    20210206_141313.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 14

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Why do you think you need a complete group set? Looks like a quite old budget bike but in good condition. Certainly worth saving.
if the shifters are not functioning well flush them out with WD40, they often get gummed up with dirt at that age and that should sort them.
I’m guessing thats a triple up front? Should be easy enough to source a replacement if needed. Plenty on eBay. Your cassette/freewheel and chain chain may also need replacement.
Might also be worth changing all the cables for better operation.

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

Hi @Cycleops, long time no speak. How are you? Hope you and your family keeping well.

Thank you very much for your input as always. 🙂🤞

Yes it's a tripple up front. This bike belongs to my wife, its an old runner.

The gear change is somewhat clunky. I'll follow your recommendation and go to work with blasting it with WD40 and give it a good clean out. That's the only real complaint I have with it. Aside from that it's in good condition.

Big John

Guru
I work on a lot of 3 X 6's at the bike charity where I'm a volunteer. Your bike looks in great condition compared to what we have to work on. Our standard procedure is replace all cables, brake and gear, inners and outers, new brake blocks and front mech/rear mech indexing. We check the bottom bracket for play as well as the headset. Check wheel bearings, tighten everything up and road test it. I reckon a bit of time invested and for relatively little expense you'll have your bike running as good as new. Sometimes the older bikes we work on change gear sweeter than some of the modern ten speeds. It's a nice bike and I'm sure will keep going for many years yet 👍

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

Hi @Ajax Bay , I took the pic today. 😊 It looks pristine because I cleaned it with the intention to put it up for sale.

I was testing it on a short ride and realised the gearing is kinda clunky.

I felt unhappy selling a bike I'm not 100% happy with. I could sell it "sold as seen" or upgrade the groupset to something nice but realised it may not be worth spending the time and money.

I'm going to give the shifters a good blast of WD40 and give it a good clean with a toothbrush.

I'm only selling it for £70-£100, but I'm a man of principle and wanted to ensure the next owner got the joy out of it they deserve.

@Big John thank you very much for your post. That's really kind to help with your tips. You've now tempted me to keep the bike!! 😊🚲👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼 I'm going to find some YouTube videos to help me do the maintenance you described.

Sharky

Guru
Good advice from the others.

Whilest you posted a picture of your bike, just wanted to comment that the saddle looks to be quite forward and you have a very long stem. A position like that will put a lot of weight thru the arms and hands. A less forward position would balance the weight between the arms and bum better and could be more comfortable.

If you are happy with it, leave as is, but could be worth reviewing if you are having any niggles

weareHKR

That bike is rideable but not worth a significant upgrade.
That's just a matter of personal choice.
The bike looks in fairly decent condition, probably not been used a great deal, as the recommendations above it may just need a bit of lubrication on the shifters & both mechs!

Ajax Bay

Guru
That bike is rideable but not worth a significant upgrade.
That's just a matter of personal choice.
Choosing whether to 'upgrade' is de facto a matter of 'personal choice' but Michael shares his opinion. I'd go further to opine that the OP's lovely (wife's) bike is "not worth upgrading" at all.
NB: Replacing a failing part/consumable is not an 'upgrade, in my book.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/probike-escape-18-mtb-bicycle/1396571866

Drago

Legendary Member
What many cyclists call a "groupset" is in fact merely a drivetrain or geartrain.

A full gruppo will usually include stuff like sest post, chainset, pedals, handlebars, and even cables, skewers and wheels, depending on the level of groupset and the brand. As such a new groupset can be hideously expensive. Walk into a shop and ask for a groupset and this is what you will get.

A geartrain or, if it includes the chainset, a drivetrain is less cash but still liable to run you into many hundreds of pounds.

In the case of your Probike, if you have an individual component that is worn or broken then by all means replace it. However, for what it would cost to fully upgrade the geartrain or drivetrain you could buy a very nice used bike of much higher quality, ride and performance. Why spend BMW money on upgrading a Corsa?

No matter how much you spend the frame will remain a fairly humble item and will only ever offer a fairly humble riding experience. Thats not to say its a bad bike by any means, or that it couldn't provide years of happy riding and utility, but in both financial terms and in terms of performance return on your investment its simply not worth considering any comprehemsive upgrading.

If a component is worn or busted then replace it and by all means do so with a better performing, slightly lighter, more durable item, but beyond that I wouldn't consider spending any cash on actual upgrades. With a bit of luck a good clean and tune up should be all it takes to provide an excellent commuter or utility bike.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

Dear all,

Thank you thank thank you for such seasoned and experienced input. This cycle forum is really nice and bang on the buck.

I just opened gear shifters, gave it a good blast and got rid of all the dirt and grit that had been hiding there. Also gave the chain drive a good clean with GT85. The bike is changing gears like new. No new parts needed.

Thanks for the input! 🙂🍻

Top Bottom