Need loads of advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F

Fourjays

Finally got paid and am just waiting for the money to make it to my account.

I'm looking at new bikes again as when I had a look at my old Townsend to figure out the repairs I did not like the look of many of the components... I just don't think I'd feel safe going out on it again. :biggrin:

My nearest bike shop has unfortunately disappeared, making the next closest one a difficult to reach Halfords some 18 miles away. I don't really want to have to spend my budget on transport (which would be more to somewhere such as a Decathlon) which leaves me kind of stuck. :blush:

I know it is against good advice but I don't see much choice other than to buy online (as I have to do for nearly everything these days) - I'm rather taken with Decathlon as well.

Just a couple of questions:
- Is their size calculator (the English doesn't work at the moment but I can figure out the French well enough) likely to help with the "fit" issue (if only to some extent)? Asks for height and inside leg, then suggests the bike size (S/M/L) and seat/handlebar height adjustments. Any further advice regards this would help.
- Any recommendations regards the differences between the Rockrider 5.0 and the Rockrider Five.1? Main difference appears to be that the Five.1 has front suspension (roads are rough round here but I wouldn't be off-roading as such so probably unnecessary) and an aluminium frame instead of steel (good or bad?). I did consider a hybrid (like this), but without actually trying one I'm not sure... they look odd. I'm strongly leaning towards the Rockrider 5.0 currently as it looks very similar to my Townsend in shape and size.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

claud rider

Defo get more bang for your buck with e-bay.
However as already suggested do some homework on bikes in general so at least you will be able to tell the difference between a genuine description and some techno made up babble to make the bike sound good.
Stick to well known brands also anything unfamiliar is bound to be some very cheap import from China.
Most e-bayers are either buyer to collect, but quite a few will courier out for around 25 pounds.
Any bikes that do take your fancy...google it and see what comes up you may be surprised at what you find.
Very best of luck

Jaguar

claud rider said:
Any bikes that do take your fancy...google it and see what comes up
Definitely do that: I just saved £180 on my new pootling-round-town bike. imo, it's worth getting your LBS to go over any bike you buy online, to tighten everything up properly etc (£25 ish)

Top Bottom