Need new clothes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been out of the saddle for more than a year. I'm now 13st 4lb and it's all in my stomach. I hate it. I hate seeing it every day. Things need to change.

I can't fit in my cycling shorts any more, and even then the vest is now small. The jacket is thin and not waterproof nor windproof.

Now looking for some new gear to ride in wet and cold weather.
  • My ears get cold and hurt quite a lot when it's cold and I wear glasses all the time.
  • I HAVE to wear compression stockings to decrease my chances of getting ulcers on my ankles, and I've been wearing for so long that if I have a day without wearing them, my legs swell up and ache, so ditching them is a no go.
  • I have Bontrager SSR Multisport Cycling shoes. Tried cleats, but fell twice, so I gave up, so back to flat pedals. My right foot doesn't sit straight due to me fracturing my tibia, so always find it more difficult (only a tiny bit) to unclip shoe from pedal.
Was thinking about going with bibs that are full legs, a base, and a jacket.

Don't want to spend too much as I'm not working.

Attachments

• 3C0A8003.jpg
    3C0A8003.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 3C0A8004.jpg
    3C0A8004.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 3C0A8005.jpg
    3C0A8005.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 3C0A1990.jpg
    3C0A1990.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 3C0A8006.jpg
    3C0A8006.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 15
Is there a Decathlon near you?

If so, I'd suggest starting there. All their stuff - and not just their cycling kit - is exceptional value for money and wears really well. Only downside is you have to try everything on before buying as their sizing can be a bit weird and isn't consistent across the various ranges.

P.S. Their skiing base layers work a treat for cold weather cycling.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
As @Reynard decathlons stuff is pretty good.
If you want warmth, I can highly recommend their merino wool hiking base layers. I've recently bought one and it beats the pants off any polyester base layer I've ever had. £20 gets you their short sleeve version. Worth it in the long run.

Tenn cycling gear (Amazon) is also worth a look. Their jerseys are in my experience cut to be on the loose side (I have 4) and long lasting. Bought my first jersey from them in 2012. Still looks good.

Keep an eye on Aldi and Lidl for good quality gear too.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I HAVE to wear compression stockings to decrease my chances of getting ulcers on my ankles, and I've been wearing for so long that if I have a day without wearing them, my legs swell up and ache, so ditching them is a no go.
I have problems with my left calf swelling (also caused by DVT damage). I used to wear compression socks but kept wearing them out or ripping them trying to get them on and off. It was a nuisance and costing a lot to keep replacing them.

I was browsing about on eBay and found THESE 'compression sleeves' which are like compression socks without the foot part. They are much easier to get on and off. I wear ordinary socks with them. They were remarkably cheap (£2.99 a pair including delivery) so I bought 2 pairs. I only need to wear the left one, but it looks odd so I wear both. The catch was that my non-swollen right calf is one size smaller so I bought an extra pair that size.

They can make my legs a bit too warm in hot conditions, but in cool conditions they provide welcome extra insulation.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Blimey... I just spotted THESE which look like they would do the same job - £0.99 a pair including free delivery!

Hmm check specific prices - as soon as you put the size/colour in, the price changes!

Last edited:

Flakey

Second vote for Buffs. Always have a couple with me. Can be used as scarf, mask, bandana or cap. Wear one unber my cycling helmet in winter.

vickster

Legendary Member
Could get a runner headband for ears, Decathlon probably gave one.
Cleats, could try Shimano SH56 multi release, pull foot out other than just having to twist ankle

Levo-Lon

Guru
Holy crap
Hope this doesn't get merged with Gavs thread:laugh:

OP
OP
F
Closest Decathlon is Manchester

Yes compression stockings are expensive, I looked some months ago and they were £60 from the manufacturer and that's only for one pair, and I want two, then I can wear one pair while washing the others...........I dare not wear the calf support compresson braces and others that don't cover my feet, because no doubt my feet will swell.

I think I'll stay with flat pedals for now. Might try clips much later.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I've been out of a job for 2 years and counting. I don't want to waste money
Sorry to hear that.
Have you tried scouting charity shops?
Lots of people lose/gain weight, then give redundant clothing to charity.
I have had some great almost new outdoor clothing finds.
You have the shoes, imo the most expensive necessity.
Anything vaguely waterproof/thermal did me for a long time before I started longer rides.
It's worth a try.
Ebay and FB also can get you cheap stuff if you have the patience to hunt for it.
Good luck!

I know it gets panned but some of the stuff you get in Sports Direct isn`t bad at all. Sometimes it`s quite cheap, as is the stuff you get in the Aldi special sales - I baulk at pairing more that £50 for any item lol

Top Bottom