Need new wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For my commute bike.
Am looking at either Shimano RS30's or Mavic Aksiums.
They are the same price so any recommendations/comments/yay's or nay's of the above mentioned wheels welcome.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Got Aksiums myself (spares now), and they use sealed cartridge bearings, so easy to service.

Tough wheels, and fairly light these days (Mavic keep shaving weight off them)........ They also look good.

Shimano use cup/cone bearings, which are easy to service and grease. Mavic more fit and forget.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cheers Fossy.
I quite like the idea of a 'fit an forget' wheel, but I do enjoy cleaning and re-greasing bearings/cup & cones. For the fact I know I can get the crap that builds up in there.

potsy

Rambler
Cheers Fossy.
I quite like the idea of a 'fit an forget' wheel, but I do enjoy cleaning and re-greasing bearings/cup & cones. For the fact I know I can get the crap that builds up in there.

I'll post you mine Ian for a clean and re-grease,try to have them back to me by Monday
thumbsup.png

Do need to sort mine out soon,the rear is sounding gritty now,just a bit unsure of what is involved tbh,also what tools do I need?

AlanW

Guru
Both are brilliant wheels in their own right, but best value for money has to go to the Shimano ones without any doubt. Up till fairly recently I had several pairs of Mavic wheels and have always rated them very highly.

But I recently purchased a pair of the Shimano RS80 wheels, for the money they are incredible! We are talking sub £300 for a pair of wheels that are equally as good as my Kysrium SL wheels at £600 a pair, and are only 50 grammes heavier!

But look at the lower end RS10 Shimano wheel, less than £100 for a pair of quality wheels...........fantastic.

Chris James

Über Member
I have a pair of RS30s.

I have only ridden them a handful of times though, so not in the best position to give an indepth review. They seem pretty nice wheels, not particularly light, but climb as well as my handbuilts (I live in a very hilly area).

When up to speed the rim and bladed spoke aerodynamics (and possibly rim weight) mean that they seem to hold their speed really well.

I have read about RS20 spoke breakages but the RS30 uses the same spokes as the RS80 and the rim is pretty deep and very stiff, so hopefully should be be robust.

I have also heard about Aksium spoke breakages, esp on the more recent models.

A bit waffly I am afraid, but basically I like my RS30s.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Just put the newer 2010 aksiums on the Kinesis and I think they're pretty good. Never ridden shimano's but they're well loved by peeps.

What I like about the aksium is they're
-cheap
-light enough
-fast rolling
-strong and stiff for the money
-good quick release skewers if you need that sort of thing

They also look nice, as do the Shimanos.

Both are brilliant wheels in their own right, but best value for money has to go to the Shimano ones without any doubt. Up till fairly recently I had several pairs of Mavic wheels and have always rated them very highly.

But I recently purchased a pair of the Shimano RS80 wheels, for the money they are incredible! We are talking sub £300 for a pair of wheels that are equally as good as my Kysrium SL wheels at £600 a pair, and are only 50 grammes heavier!

But look at the lower end RS10 Shimano wheel, less than £100 for a pair of quality wheels...........fantastic.

where did you get RS80's for less than 300quid? best price I can find is 320?

AlanW

Guru
where did you get RS80's for less than 300quid? best price I can find is 320?

Ribble Cycles about a month ago in one off their weekend promo's

gonna highjack Ian's thread.......

Reckon I can reach 250quid for a new set of wheel for my other bike.

Any recommendations?

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Clive,
with respect young fella.. the amount of time you ride the Giant, does it really warrant spending that amount on a pair of boot's?

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well. after having tea with Tdr1nka on Wednesday, I noticed his bike was shod with Shim RS20's. Had a feel and a fondle and was impressed with the build and weight. So ordered a par on Wednesday from Merlin Cycles. They arrived yesterday (great service). Put on the bike today. But before I did I checked the hubs and good thing I did. They put the minimum amount of grease in there possible. So after adding a bit more, the commuter now has a couple of nice new boots.

e-rider

crappy member
shiamno RS wheels don't get good reviews - I have some RS10s and they are OK - no probs yet. Problems generally with broken spokes (several weeks to get replacements) and cracks in the rim around eyelets.

you can find krysium equipes for the same price as Aksiums on the web - wiggle had them for £150 per pair a weeek ago but now only have fronts left.

Easton EA50s are similar price. I like the EA70s but they are £300 pair so more than your budget.

Top Bottom