Need rack braze on sorted - SE London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One of what I take to be called braze-ons has detached from my Chro-Mo frame - it holds one of the legs of my rack on.

The braze on is still attached to the rack leg.

Although the bike is not expensive (an old 97 Ridgeback Adventure 520SX) I would like to get it sorted economically as this bike is my day to day bike (better round town than my nickable Hewitt) and I also use it for some touring for similar reasons - there's even a trip to Rome planned on it.

Questions:

Does anyone know someone in Forest Hill/Catford/Lewisham area of SE London who can sort this? But am also willing to travel 10 miles or more each way for a good place.

Do get a new braze on attached or is the old one just fastened back on?

Will the repair be as good as/strong as new?

Is it best to go through a bike shop or direct to some good welding outfit?

How much should this cost? With the recent trendiness of bikes I don't want to get, er, taken for a ride.

In view of the fact that this has broken (albeit after close on 20 years) I trust there is nothing wrong with the basic design of the bike's braze-ons - it was sold as a hybrid, though a mighty fine one in my opinion.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
They're not welded on they're brazed (hence the name) and the Ridgeback is an excellent bike. As to where in London to get it fixed not a clue but if it's one of the top mounts a p-clip might be a decent fix/bodge as you will damage the paint brazing one back on.

Bodhbh

Guru
Roberts is around the neck of the woods and do frame building/repairs. Tho they tend to have backlog. I'm guessing one braze-on would be about 25quid.

/edit nm, they've closed for a while by the look of things.

PK99

Legendary Member
The guys at AW cycles @Colliers Wood would probably go wobbly at the knees at the chance of repairing a braze on! The guy in there started as a Saturday-boy 60 plus years ago and is still there!

A bit of a trek for you but....
  1. Address: 23 Abbey Parade, London SW19 1DG
    Phone:020 8542 2534
do give em a call first

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks pk.

Colliers wood is not so far.

Being dim, what do you mean by they'd go wobbly at the knees? They thirst after such small jobs? Or were you being ironic?

Thanks again.

PK99

Legendary Member
Thanks pk.

Colliers wood is not so far.

Being dim, what do you mean by they'd go wobbly at the knees? They thirst after such small jobs? Or were you being ironic?

Thanks again.

They are really old school, used to make frames and still have a (no longer used) enamelling oven in the back room, there are old-old frames and bits galore piled everywhere, there "bits box" is wonder to behold! - they like working on old bikes!

As a complete aside, i once went to a "Tube stations Fancy Dress" with a t-shirt with a picture of Arthur Scargill and the question "Who would vote for this man?" - Colliers would, of course..... I've already got mi coat...

Top Bottom