Need some new Jockeys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
And how will new underpants cure your problem?

stephec

Legendary Member
Looks like @Drago had the same thoughts as me when he first read the title. :biggrin:

jockey.jpg

scotjimland

[QUOTE 5235046, member: 9609"]well true, more lube would have prolonged its life, but 21,000 miles also suggests it was maintained quite well.[/QUOTE]
totally agree.. it owes you nothing .. time to retire it ^_^

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5235046, member: 9609"]well true, more lube would have prolonged its life, but 21,000 miles also suggests it was maintained quite well.

It is surprising when wear sets it how quickly it occurs, I would have had that jockey wheel off in the last couple of months for its routine clean and grease and there must not have been any obvious wear. I noticed the chain starting to clatter against the hang a couple of weeks back (200 mile) and by the time I get round to a replacement it is stupidly worn.

I guess once it becomes rough and misshapen the wear accelerates, would think it would have failed completely in another couple of weeks.[/QUOTE]
It looks like the bush stopped rotating on the pin/bolt, a touch of corrosion maybe?

Ajax Bay

Guru
It looks like the bush stopped rotating on the pin/bolt, a touch of corrosion maybe?
This. Normal wear result in ninja wheels (ie spiky).
Reposting a February post of mine:
My ninjas needed replacing (see image; includes relatively new one for comparison). I suspect that they were the originals (ie with the 105 RD) so had about 20,000km on them.
Replaced with basic BBB sealed roller bearing ones (£10 the pair from my LBS).
On advice from my LBS I prised off the seal on the new ones (tip of Stanley knife: clicks off easily and clicks back on fine) and thumbed some more grease in there
Threadlock on the screws.
img_0789-1-jpg-jpg.jpg

PpPete

Legendary Member
I don't let mine go as far as @Ajax Bay but I second his suggestion of replacing with BBB sealed bearing replacements.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5238835, member: 9609"]I don't think the metal sleeve thing on mine rotates, when the bolt is tightened the metal sleeve and outer washer things are held stationary. The plastic jockey is the only thing that spins - how they last as long as they do is a mystery to me.[/QUOTE]
Yep the outer washers remain stationary but the bonded in steel bush should rotate on something, or is that just the top one. TBH it's a long time since I had one apart (I don't cover a fraction of the distance I used to since snapping my Femur into 3 bits)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Some have a ceramic outer bearing running on a steel bush. They seem to last pretty well if you maintain your drivetrain.

Top Bottom