Need to create a battery for my Trailtech light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brand

The batteries are to expensive, even when I buy them in the US and pay no import duty.
I break them, loose them and sometimes put them into deep discharge. I have one left which has been damaged by a deep discharge.
Want to create the battery by using standard Lithium batteries. Should be able to get female ends to fit lights. Happy with the lights and they were to expensive to throw away.
Their 12 volt lights. Has anyone seen a ready made battery casing I could just fit batteries in? It would appear I need a case which takes 3 batteries? Or one which takes 4 and a blank battery?
HELP I can't afford to buy them and 1.5 hours of power is not enough to get me home from the pub!

How far away is your local?

OP
OP
B

brand

6 miles and I like another 12 miles away. Plus a nice crawl could be much further. I don't want the batteries to be permanently fixed in the casing I want to be able to stop and change them

OP
OP
B

brand

Nice one. Anyone else. I am after multiple choices. This is a 4 batterys one and I think the lithium batteries are 3.7 volt? My light is 12volt. So anyone know where I can get blank battery.
Thanks very much gaz

gbb

Legendary Member
Are you lights LED ?
Such lights usually (although you'd have to check this) have a driver that limits the dc voltage incoming, whatever the dc voltage source is, as long as its greater than the minimum the LEDs require.
So you can theroretically run a 6v lamp with 12v power source quite safely.
Next thing to consider is how you charge your batteries.
1x 18650 chargers will need you to separately charge 3 or 4 batteries separately.
Or, buy a lithium charger appropriate to the full battery pack size. My 4x18650 pack is charged with something like a 14v L-Ion charger (don't quote me, i'm working off memory but the principle is correct)
The batteries are readily available, the chargers need a little homework but can be brought online...but they can be a good few quid (£20 ish for mine although it is a good one)

OP
OP
B

brand

2 LEDs lamps a HID lamp. I have a charger lithium ion 12 volt charger. I was aiming to keep it simple ie open the case take out the batteries and charge in a standard charger. Something like that!

Best of luck with your project Brand and there is some good help on here.

But gotta say that this thread will make me stick to standard format swappable rechargeables and no usb nonsense even more. Keep it simple.

screenman

Legendary Member
If you have a rack buy a small motorbike battery, which is what a lot of us used in this area for getting the miles in at night, couple to a moped headlight was quite useful before decent spots.

OP
OP
B

brand

Best of luck with your project Brand and there is some good help on here.

But gotta say that this thread will make me stick to standard format swappable rechargeables and no usb nonsense even more. Keep it simple.
I want to but I am looking at £100 + from Trailtech UK less from the US but all the same not cheap. The problem is I keep breaking them or loosing them and have to replace them. I need a decent light as there is no street lights at all round here and the lamps themselves are excellent.

Top Bottom