Need VERY secure lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karimali831

My £500 got stolen two days ago with the magnum bike lock and in a CCTV area, within only an hour when I was at the gym!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_231153_langId_-1_categoryId_165637

Even though I reported it to the police, I still believe I have no chance to re-unite and I'm desperate for a new one ASAP as I use it for transport to get to work on daily basis.

Very shocked to find out they managed to somehow brake the locks, used this lock twice to lock the frame+back wheel to the bike rack and other lock on the front wheel+frame.

£80 on locks and still no good. what am I suppose to do know without having to worry that my bike will get stolen? I'm off looking for a new bike anyway and I don't think there is a 100% safe lock, especially in the area where my bike got stolen.

Norm

karimali831 said:
what am I suppose to do know without having to worry that my bike will get stolen? I'm off looking for a new bike anyway
Answering the first sentence by suggesting you don't just go off looking for a new bike. Get an old one, something with a few scars and scratches which doesn't stand out. And, as importantly, which doesn't stand you for £500 if it does get stolen.

ASC1951

Guru
LeeW said:
Abus Granit extreme
Is that the one that weighs 2-3kg depending on model and costs £85-£165?

I'm with Norm on this. For high risk locations it's much more sensible to have a bike that no-one wants to steal. Bikes are stolen to re-sell, not to ride, so you want a tatty steel frame and components, flapping bar tape and singlespeed - even better, a fixed wheel with SPDs. Yours from your local tip/police auction for the same price as an Abus Granite and a little work. And if you take the fixed option, as much fun as going to the gym.

With a bit of guile, you can have a winter hack which looks like a bag of crap but runs as well as your £500 bike did.

[As an afterthought, if you go to that gym regularly, how about asking a householder a couple of 100 yards away if you can leave your bike at the side of their house?]

PpPete

Legendary Member
ASC1951 has got it so right.
Here is mine....huge fun, excellent training, & £3.99 cable lock is more than adequate.

DSC01390.jpg

Weighs the same as an S-Works + a 3kg lock!

Remember, for this purpose RUST is your friend.

Mycroft

karimali831 said:
I don't think there is a 100% safe lock, especially in the area where my bike got stolen.

kinda answers everything right there IMO

sorry your £500 got stolen. I assume it was a bike :smile:

get yourself a second hand beatup looking thing that LOOKS not worth stealing, that YOU wouldn't take a second glance at, fit it out with good brakes/gear so that its SAFE and use that for "town runs"

then get yourself a "nice" bike for longer runs where it will never leave your sight, or for when you know it will be secure if you do leave it.

Re getting it back, it might be worth spending some time in the local auction rooms over the next few weeks :biggrin: but make sure you have your frame number to hand if you do spot your bike.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Sorry to hear that your bike got taken :smile:

I still use the old bike when im popping to the shops etc, its tatty looking but more than adequate. I use a simple cable lock if im popping into a shop for a few mins, and an armored M/Cycle lock if im going to be a bit longer.

Davidc

Guru
An alarm can help - frightens the s**s witless. I've just started using these. I used to have bike specific ones, bolted on, but they fell apart eventually.

I usually just lock the alarm lock around the chain stay so it can slide around if the bike's moved to try and get the D lock off it. If I'm leaving the bike for some time or in a theft hotspot I carry a safety wire with loops at the ends, which goes through the front wheel and the main triangle then the lock, so it alarms the bike, the front wheel, and the lock itself. It's seriously loud.

I've got one on the garden shed as well.

It was good to see the little toe-rags running away last year - especially when it was someone elses bike they were after when they set the alarm off, and there was blood left on the other bike's frame!

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Davidc said:
An alarm can help - frightens the s**s witless. I've just started using these. I used to have bike specific ones, bolted on, but they fell apart eventually.

I usually just lock the alarm lock around the chain stay so it can slide around if the bike's moved to try and get the D lock off it. If I'm leaving the bike for some time or in a theft hotspot I carry a safety wire with loops at the ends, which goes through the front wheel and the main triangle then the lock, so it alarms the bike, the front wheel, and the lock itself. It's seriously loud.

I've got one on the garden shed as well.

It was good to see the little toe-rags running away last year - especially when it was someone elses bike they were after when they set the alarm off, and there was blood left on the other bike's frame!

They look really good... so ive just ordered one :thumbsup: - Got mine through eBay though... looks like the same thing/spec etc.

Davidc

Guru
AndyCarolan said:
They look really good... so ive just ordered one :thumbsup: - Got mine through eBay though... looks like the same thing/spec etc.

Be careful not to set it off next to your ear - it hurts. Easily done if you go to unlock the bike before turning the alarm off.

What I really want is something that fires a spike up from the middle of the seat when the bike gets going. Trouble is I'd probably do the same as with the alarm and forget to turn it off !!!!!!

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Davidc said:
Be careful not to set it off next to your ear - it hurts. Easily done if you go to unlock the bike before turning the alarm off.

What I really want is something that fires a spike up from the middle of the seat when the bike gets going. Trouble is I'd probably do the same as with the alarm and forget to turn it off !!!!!!

lol thanks for the warning :thumbsup:

Getting harpooned in the butt while starting your ride home would be a real bad end to a day now wouldnt it :biggrin:

e-rider

crappy member
Kryptonite M18 is pretty good but quite heavy. List price is £100 but you can find them for £60 on the web.

As you say, no lock is 100% safe.

peteoc

has everyone missed the text on the halfrauds link about the lock?

"Anti-theft guarantee offer"

What do they offer? Replacement bike?

peteoc

in addition to above

from the Q&A on the Halfrauds website

How to claim in event of theft?

Q:
theres nothing on how to claim if bike stolen on manufacturers website yet you quote this as benefit of this lock so please give full details. thank you
4 months, 1 week ago
by
tomto
- London

Answers

A:
Please contact Moore Large on 01332 274226 for further details on claiming in the event of theft.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Another way to address the problem and which works for some is to get a folder, and just take it with you. The weight penalty of a folding bike is certainly less than 3kgs...

Did they find out from the cctv how they breached the lock? In particular did you lock the bike with little or no space within the D (assuming it was a D lock)? If it wasn't a D lock or if there was space that could have been the problem/solution, as opposed to buying an even bigger D lock...

Even the Granite Exteme failed to survive more than 2 minutes in tests.

Top Bottom