Neighbours....do you have any that get on your ****?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

I live in a Maisonette.
The neighbours downstairs are way too loud. They talk too loud, they always slam the doors......their back kitchen door is stiff....so they slam it....the silly cow downstairs has just slammed it shut no less than 5 times in less than a minute. She shouts and swears at the kids and calls them all manner of childish names and insults.:biggrin:
They guy is ok...her boyfriend.....she is not well educated to say the least. They shout when they talk, they argue all the time....as said above...the kitchen door slams, they have the TV up too loud, they slam the front door and inner doors too.
She reminds me of Vicky Pollard.
After 4 years of living above her they are getting right on my nerves.
I have politely approached them every time. Asked them not to have the TV too loud, door slam etc. They are ok about it normally......then after 2 days it's back to normal. My father has confronted her and got a mouthful back.

My maisonette is in a block of 4. I'm top left looking at it from the front of the block. My first noisy neighbouris her downstairs.

My 2nd noisy neighbours are next door upstairs....or to my left.
This bloke, his GF/wife...whatever she is and their 3 kids.

This bloke as an absolute **** and make no mistake.
He lets his kids stomp around the lfat without control. He doesn't work. He's openely admitted that he can't control his kids. He argues with his partner. he lets his kids watch their TV until 10 or 11 o'clock at night...and it is loud...

We once had a contractor round installing sound proof flooring as we complained so much about poor sound proofing to the council. So after the 3rd day the living room was being worked on and my Dad was helping the contractor out. 14.00 in the afternoon the workman was working away banging and drilling and the **** next door comes around and threatens my Dad to stop making noise called him every name under the sun. Said that he was sleeping and so were his kids...and that his kids had bad stomachs...yeah...like we were supposed to know that....
My dad is a tiny bloke...and this guy is an ex-bailiff. Dad was scared. He had no right to have a go at my Dad....he even knew we were carrying out the flooring work as the council inforemd all the neighbours. This **** from next door called out the contractor as he wanted a word with him.......but the contractor refused to leave the house to go outside...dont blame him. he started accusing my father of being a bad neighbour and saying we'd called the police and grassed on neighbours.....erm...no we have never done that....but he's one of these blokes who likes to shout and get his point across and won't let you speak.......tries to create barriers and start riffs bewteen neighbours.

The council have been approached. They can't do anything. The **** next door is in temporary accomodation. her downstairs is not planning to move for another 4 years....:sad:

I reckon this is why I'm not sleeping at night. :ohmy:

How many times can you ask people to be quiet and respectful of neighbours......we all know it's bad sound proofing....yet our neighbours don't adhere to any reasoning.

Sorry to winge...I got a load off my chest..:biggrin:

SamNichols

Helen Daniels always annoyed the crap out of me. Jim this, Home James that, Lassiter's whatever. Shut up woman.

Bigtallfatbloke

Neighbours can be a real pain in the arse. I have some behind me...common as muck Chav's with no edookation and a a serious attitude problem. ...

...back to yours...

...you should do all you can via the official channels to get them to behave. Keep records and logs and videos and recordings etc...take advice from the council...but it sounds like you already are going down that route. There are loads of good sites on the web about sound proofing your home...here is the first one I found on a google search;

http://www.ourproperty.co.uk/guides/how_to_soundproof_your_house.html

Sound proofing is expensive to do fully. I know, I am involved in a home recording studio. But there is a lot that can be done to deaden the sound, even if it doesnt eliminate it.

if you decide to go along that route let me know I have some limited experience of sound treating/ proofing a room.

How do the other neighbours feel? You may find that a joint offensive might work better?

As far as sleeping goes...earplugs?

Unfortunatley we live in a society where nobody listens unless you shout loud enough...I suggest you write to the council everytime you are badly disturbed...make a real pain of yourself. The longer the record the more they will have to act.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
We don't have anything like you have at all but one set of neighbours on our left, that have been what could be described as the perfect neighbours for 25 years the last 3 years have turned into quite irritating ones. It all started when my mum decided to prune a small tree (9ft) that has been there since the house was built. The neighbour came round one day when we were out and chopped it to about 2 feet lower than we were going to. Soon after we got requests to chop it down further and every 6 months requests to chop it ever lower. We eventually got letters from next door demanding we chop it down completely and threatening to report it to the council and get it chopped down. The thing that annoys me is it's already much smaller than it's been any time in the last 30 years and the extension (15 years old) next door was erected many years after the tree was up and well established. The neighbour claims it cuts out all his direct sunlight in the morning but it's north west facing, it gets no direct sunlight at all - but we've never said that to him. I just don't see the point in ripping out yet more greenery when so many others have ripped out hedges, bushes and trees the last few years and replaced it with concrete and fences.

When I was small the neighbours front garden wasn't particularly nice at all, infact our other neighbour at the time thought they were gardening heathens. The neighbour has become interested the last 5 years and their garden has improved, when he's out gardening in the front whenever we go out of the house we get heckled about what a bad state our garden is in (it's certainly not, it's all right) and how it's a disgrace to the road - what about two nearby houses that are 100% concrete front now?

Three doors down another lot of neighbours have been there for a few years and moving out soon. They have a couple of teenage sons who have a very large gang of friends who are always coming and going out of the house. They only ever do very minor vandalism like letting down tyres and scratching cars but they do tend to come back at 2am-4am and create a fair bit of noise. Sometimes they come back with or chased by the police and the police create noise too. Unfortunately nothing can be done as their dad is a senior member of the local police force. They're moving soon though.

Quite odd how things can change.

Hope the sound proofing works though.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

I use earplugs as I'd have no chance of sleeping.....oh...and there is a neighbour on the adjoining street with a dog that sits outside barking on and off all day and night. I wanna go around there and punch the owner on the nose.

This **** next door to me is not any threat to me...infact...the last time I complained about his TV being too loud (nicely and politely that is) he started having a go about my Dad again and sayinf he was this that and the other (swear names) in front of me. So I used my best English grammer and knowledge and basically squared up to him and said he should keep his opinions to himself....'I'm here to tell you to keep the TV volume down' I grimaced....not talk about your thoughts of my Dad...he refused to open the door fully to me in order to face me......he kept closing it a bit at a time while I continued to talk to him....GRRR....ex-bailiff......
All he kept saying to me (and my dad as it happened) was that he was an ex-bailiff and he knew the law.....and tried to use the bailiff word as a threat , meaning he was a big hard man.
Well so ****ing what I thought...I'm an ex-copper and know the law even better.....as well as all my UDT.....but I didn't tell him that.....
Now he avoids me at all costs.....just as well really.

longers

Legendary Member
Sounds grim stevenb, good neighbours are worth their weight in gold.

I'm still in touch with my neighbours on both sides from my last house. It's nice to know nice people.

Where I am now one side is ok but the other side are pig ignorant. I've lived here for 9 months and they and the family next to them can't even acknowledge my existence! I took their ferret back when it was in my garden, gave them some dog treats I wouldn't give to my dog, I'm always fielding nosy questions from their kids, let the kids play with the dog, gave them some compost and a plant pot for a plant and they blank me in the street.:ohmy:

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

longers said:
Sounds grim stevenb, good neighbours are worth their weight in gold.

I'm still in touch with my neighbours on both sides from my last house. It's nice to know nice people.

Where I am now one side is ok but the other side are pig ignorant. I've lived here for 9 months and they and the family next to them can't even acknowledge my existence! I took their ferret back when it was in my garden, gave them some dog treats I wouldn't give to my dog, I'm always fielding nosy questions from their kids, let the kids play with the dog, gave them some compost and a plant pot for a plant and they blank me in the street.:ohmy:

My neighbours downstairs blow hot and cold.......sometimes they are quite approachable...polite and friendly and I can have a nice chat with them. I fitted their car stereo...he offered to pay..it only took me 5 mins so I said no money needed.
Other times she loses her temper with the kids and slams the doors for hours on end....forgetting that their is me upstairs.
The ex-bailiff next door I will not speak to...he's just one of lifes losers.

it is nice to have good neighbours....I think living in the countryside may help????

simoncc

I did have problem neighbours. Noise was my problem - loud pop music and a dog left barking at home alone for hours on end. Complaints to the council eventually solved the problem, but it took quite a while and was tiresome.

The neighbours have recently put their house up for sale. My nephew gave me some posters advertising heavy metal pop groups and I've stuck one in my front room window and one in the front bedroom window where prosepective buyers of next door cannot fail to see them. Now I've forced my neighbours to be quiet I don't want them moving out and someone else noisy moving in.

My neighbour is great. She's 85 and deaf as a post, so I can play my Pixies and AC/DC albums really loud:biggrin:. I can hear her telly through the wall though, but it doesn't really bother me.
We're lucky enough now to live in Monmouth, which is officially nice, but I watched my neighbourhood in Wolverhampton go downhill for the three or four years I lived there. I've never been too bothered about noise (I can be noisy myself), but the people in the building next door used to regularly have big fights, culminating in one of them being pushed down the fire escape and the police being called. I had some stuff nicked from my loft (of all places) by the neighbours on the other side, and a few times I had my car tyres slashed and wingmirrors kicked off. But by and large it wasn't too bad.
You have my sympathy Stevenb, I hate ignorant people and the ex bailiff sounds like one of the worst. Next time you see him, push him down the stairs.:ohmy:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I must be lucky. All of my neighbours are really good. We all help out feeding the pets whilst we are away, watering the garden pots/hanging baskets ect. There is no noise late on in the evenings, although we are out in the gardens drinking, having friends round for BBQs. There is a good mix of people, young families, grown up kids like mine, older people, maybe we are lucky, but we all get on.

col

Legendary Member
Oh my god,what a nightmare it must be,i can totally identify with you,what about this possible move for you Steve?is it worth looking into?

simoncc

bonj said:
You do know that if you complain about noisy neighbours you're officially boring.

Well, I had to choose between complaining to the council about the noise, or going next door, killing the noisy dog, beating my neighbour to a pulp and smashing his CD player to smithereens. I chose the boring route out of consideration for his quiet and well behaved children, but if he starts being a nuisance again then I'll reconsider the options. The council route was very slow.

Top Bottom