Neighbour's Extension - Planning Permission Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barnet Goat

My neighbour recently submitted a planning application to build an extension to their kitchen on the ground floor. This impacted upon me in that they were replacing a fence directly outside my kitchen (we live in adjoining terraced houses) with their new kitchen wall.

Their plans clearly stated that the new wall would be at the level of the underside of my kitchen roof, this was marginally higher than the previous fence but not significantly so I decided not to object. The work has now commenced and the wall is around two feet higher than indicated on the plans. The new wall is overbearing and affects our outlook but I would guess doesn't affect our 'right to light'.

So, to anyone who has experience of these things, am I able to retrospectively object to their work based on the fact that their planning application does not accurately reflect the work being undertaken?

As an aside, the only person who would have objected to the extension would have been me. Is it a coincidence that they have misrepresented the one contentious aspect of their application? Is that type of behaviour normal with planning applications?

Any thoughts on subsequent issues would also be appreciated, ie if I can complain what is my likelihood of influencing their plans?

Mod note: Thread moved from Society, Culture & Politics

Last edited by a moderator:

Drago

Legendary Member
If it doesn't affect your right to light, on what legal point would you be hanging your objection?

stephec

Legendary Member
How well do you get on with your neighbour?

Is it the kind of subject that could casually pop up over a pint, or do you think they're the kind of person who may have done it deliberately as they don't care what you think?

Freds Dad

Veteran
How well do you get on with your neighbour?

Is it the kind of subject that could casually pop up over a pint, or do you think they're the kind of person who may have done it deliberately as they don't care what you think?

If this doesn't work then speak to the planning dept at your local council. If they are anything like ours they will be all over it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If its a submitted passed plan and building regs...its a case of do as per drawing ..
speak to planning if the neighbours not a mate...

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If you want action don't go for the planners ask to speak to the enforcement officer. They then have a duty to follow the matter up. Your neighbours will then have to comply or submit an application to regularise the situation. If there are no reasons why the revised application should be refused it will then be passed and your neighbours will be pissed off. In theory your complaint should be anonymous but in reality they won't need to be Sherlock Holmes to work out you dobbed them in.

OP
OP
B

Barnet Goat

Apologies, I wasn't sure which thread it belonged on but thank you for moving.

Thank you for your comments. The neighbours are not friends, simply neighbours. The only person who is affected by their application is myself and they had assured me that we would not be affected by their extension. Their plans indicated the new wall would be a certain height and I was ok with this, the actual wall is significantly higher and I wonder whether a clever architect understood where the possible objections to permission might arise and attempted to avoid this by a certain amount of disingenuousness on the application.

Drago - I have done a little research on the topic and it would appear that an extension that is 'overbearing' and affects my 'outlook' might be in transgression of planning rules. For my peace of mind I would at least like these looked at even if not upheld.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It may simply be that the builders can't read plans. I've seen it happen before. But if your neighbour won't correct them then yes, it's planning enforcement's task. :sad:

Mrs M

Guru
Sorry to hear you're having to deal with this :sad: very stressful.
We had a wee issue with our neighbours trying to get permission for an extension which would have impacted on our kitchen.The planners turned their application down after they'd spent £2000 to get the ball rolling.
Luckily we didn't have to object.
Hope you get things sorted.

screenman

Legendary Member
The planners around here along with the building inspectors are not as hard working as we would hope. If you really object then complaining may get you somewhere, at least you will be maybe doing something to make you feel happier.

OP
OP
B

Barnet Goat

I think the time has passed to object to the original planning consent?

Shaun

As per my original comment, I would like to object to their application based on the fact that their consent did not relate to the reality of their work, as opposed to the misleading plans they submitted. ie can an objection be submitted retrospectively because the work undertaken does not match the application. As a few have recommended I will speak to the council enforcement team and see how I get on.

Cheers all!

Drago

Legendary Member
I think the time has passed to object to the original planning consent?

Shaun
that's what I was thinking, although if the building doesn't meet the plans and they retrospectively apply he could complain the planning office. Not a legal objection as such.

This wall, have you measured it sneakily or are you judging it by eye?

Top Bottom