NEO conundrum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Put the bearings in the freezer for 30 minutes or so prior to installation. It shrinks them a bit and helps.
Top tip. I’d forgotten about that. I used a tiny amount of lithium grease spread around the edge. It’s an easy job if you remain calm & careful. If you’re like a bull in a China shop though it’s easy to break the new bearings.

Milzy

Guru
I might try this but there are already 2 o rings on the spindle
Looks like someone already added an extra. A third wouldn’t hurt. Maybe it’s catching somewhere & just needs more distance apart. Make sure the plastic collar is cleaned and fresh grease applied too.

Milzy

Guru
I'll say again ... ReAxle ;);) Also take a look at TacxFaq on Facebook ... All you need to know about noises and how to eliminate them ... Plus maintenance
Eventually I’ll Reaxle as a mod. Running fine, the upgraded axle is just beefed up with thickness. I can’t remember which member sold them but he was doing something like £40 posted a while back.

CXRAndy

Guru
If you’re good with a little mallet & aluminium round bar you can actually tap the old bearings out. Then use a socket which fits over the bearing it might have been a 19 to gently tap the new bearings in. Carefully circling around to keep things flush. Saves you £60 for the full housing as the bearings are a couple of pounds each. You do need that special tool Shown to gain access though. I had it milled out specially.
Note the Zwift engraving 😎 eh?
Interesting tool, are you able to supply ?

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Eventually I’ll Reaxle as a mod. Running fine, the upgraded axle is just beefed up with thickness. I can’t remember which member sold them but he was doing something like £40 posted a while back.
My brother has just fitted a Reaxle and it has solved a horrible graunchy metallic clattering that his Mk 1 Neo was making 👍

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Quick update on my side - had the disk off a couple more times and attempted to clean every single magnet as meticulously as possible. There were a number of tiny metallic fragments on some f them but they are really miniscule and difficult to fully remove. It sounds slightly better now and I think it is probably one or two remaining tiny bits of debris causing the amplified clattering noise inside the disk. This won't really hurt the Neo I don't think after watching and reading various videos and articles. I will keep it as a backup but the replacement Kickr Core is now the main trainer. I will probably get the disk off again and persist with a final try at cleaning the magnets and inner disk with a lint free cloth or similar.

Also the 3D printed removal tool I got from eBay broke when I did a 'user error thing' and the magnetic force pulled it back in towards the main trainer a cm or so. I got Tacx to send me one of their removal tools which in hindsight I should have insisted they did early on in the legacy. I will be super careful with this one and it seems to work a little better than Mr 3D printed from Lithuania tool.

CXRAndy

Guru
A car wheel hub puller will do the,same. You just need 2 or 3 bolts to mount and pull with. The most important bit is to protect the axle end from being damaged when the pulling bolt presses firmly against the axle.

You could try a sticky tape to,pull off the small pieces which are difficult to remove worth a try

Top Bottom