NEO conundrum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Did 1h 40m and no squeak 🤞
The noise problem has not happened again since, so I can only assume it was resolved as a result of my cleaning and fettling.
Poor show from Garmin really to not properly help troubleshoot and try to get £650 plus postage out of a customer for a (not even new) replacement unit, I thought... still it IS Garmin, what else should I expect :whistle:
When the NEO does die or I come round to replace it eventually, I will definitely be heading down the Wahoo route. Same with GPS unit.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sad update: it’s back and changed into something more sinister - a rumbling rough feeling noise and feel. I think the bearing may be on the way out. Feels hot on the disk after a ride and can feel heat on the exhaust outlet area plus smells a little bit of burning. Sounds like the fan or bearing after all what do you think? Still waiting my extractor tool to arrive that was off eBay and 3D printed, I think from some guy in Lithuania or somewhere. Should be here soon but the thought of going back to wheel on trainer even if temporary is filling me with repulsion.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The extractor arrived yesterday and without any work meetings in the calendar I ceased my opportunity. Got the disk off and identified a big problem straight away. The outer bearing in the disk bearing assembly is busted there is a sleeve or something that the inner edge of the bb's run around that was cracked into two parts. All other bearings run smooth and I can't see any other obvious issues. After some struggling and a lot of YouTubing I eventually separated the disk and bearing assembly unit. I have gone back to Garmin and they are sending me a replacement bearing assembly kit for £66. Hoping this will resolve it fully...

p.s. the O ring was fine (no sign of debris or failure)

Neo1.jpg

Last edited:

sasquath

I would have a look at the ReAxle kit. It replaces the non drive side axle, which is prone to cracking and collapsing. It's not "cheap" but it's not over £600 either
That squeak sounds like dried out ball bearing. Collapsed axle would either seize up or grind.
@Sittingduck when you get disc off inspect the bearing.
If you feel any play(no grinding so won't) it's a new bearing jobbie.
If it's spining rough it's new bearing jobbie.
If it's spinning smooth but squeaks you can very carefully pry out orange seal and add some light lithium grease. Putting grease anywhere else is pointless.

edit - did not see second page when posted :rolleyes:

£66 for a bearing is a bit steep. Any numbers on them?

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
it is not just for the bearing because I don't have the required tools to replace the individual bearing cartridge.
The £66 is for a bearing assembly kit which is the part Garmin will provide, this is basically both inner & outer bearings and the circular metal assembly into which they fit (which I can replace).

If I had the requisite bearing press / removal punch tool and crucially the specific tool to remove the notched section that the hub pawls bind against during drive I would be happy to do just the outer bearing but alas this is the quickest and easiest route.

sasquath

it is not just for the bearing because I don't have the required tools to replace the individual bearing cartridge.
The £66 is for a bearing assembly kit which is the part Garmin will provide, this is basically both inner & outer bearings and the circular metal assembly into which they fit (which I can replace).

If I had the requisite bearing press / removal punch tool and crucially the specific tool to remove the notched section that the hub pawls bind against during drive I would be happy to do just the outer bearing but alas this is the quickest and easiest route.
Fair enough:okay:

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Replaced the bearing assembly but there is a metal brushing on metal noise now. Only happens when the disk is fully installed , it’s like one of the disk magnets is skimming slightly when rotated. Had it on and off a number of times and cleaned everything fully. I might have damaged the disk or magnets when separating it from the bearing assembly, who knows. Either that or the noise was there before and masked by the original issue.
I bit the bullet and ordered a Kickr Core on Thursday that arrived today. After two test rides this afternoon I am back up and running and happy enough!

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
If you’re good with a little mallet & aluminium round bar you can actually tap the old bearings out. Then use a socket which fits over the bearing it might have been a 19 to gently tap the new bearings in. Carefully circling around to keep things flush. Saves you £60 for the full housing as the bearings are a couple of pounds each. You do need that special tool Shown to gain access though. I had it milled out specially.
Note the Zwift engraving 😎 eh?

Attachments

• 3646182A-FDB0-4544-A3EF-6B4086B85E7C.jpeg
    3646182A-FDB0-4544-A3EF-6B4086B85E7C.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 7
  • B4E25152-1D61-4E26-8C60-A992B4588B60.jpeg
    B4E25152-1D61-4E26-8C60-A992B4588B60.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 4FCD4C2F-5DC3-4248-8727-BBCBA6984C2E.jpeg
    4FCD4C2F-5DC3-4248-8727-BBCBA6984C2E.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yebbut I don’t have the special tool to remove the serrated ring that the pawls bite into. anyway I borked the disk or magnets now since the original issue, see above lol. I will probably carry on tinkering to see if I can fix it eventually now I have a replacement trainer but don’t hold out that much hope.

Milzy

Guru
Yebbut I don’t have the special tool to remove the serrated ring that the pawls bite into. anyway I borked the disk or magnets now since the original issue, see above lol. I will probably carry on tinkering to see if I can fix it eventually now I have a replacement trainer but don’t hold out that much hope.
If the magnets & inside is all perfectly clean I can’t think what the noise could be. I’d be tempted to push another Rubber spare O ring next to the existing one just to put more space between metal on metal. I did that & it stopped a whump whump noise.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
If you’re good with a little mallet & aluminium round bar you can actually tap the old bearings out. Then use a socket which fits over the bearing it might have been a 19 to gently tap the new bearings in. Carefully circling around to keep things flush. Saves you £60 for the full housing as the bearings are a couple of pounds each. You do need that special tool Shown to gain access though. I had it milled out specially.
Note the Zwift engraving 😎 eh?
Put the bearings in the freezer for 30 minutes or so prior to installation. It shrinks them a bit and helps.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If the magnets & inside is all perfectly clean I can’t think what the noise could be. I’d be tempted to push another Rubber spare O ring next to the existing one just to put more space between metal on metal. I did that & it stopped a whump whump noise.
I might try this but there are already 2 o rings on the spindle

Top Bottom