Neo / Neo 2 and Wahoo kickr climb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
There's a review of the new Neo 2 at DCRainmaker

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/12/tacx-neo-2-smart-trainer-in-depth-review.html

Of interest is this about half way down

DCRainmaker said:
Finally, some will ask about Wahoo KICKR CLIMB compatibility. At this point in time, no 3rd party trainers are compatible with it. However, both Wahoo and Tacx are working together to make that happen. In the case of the NEO, nothing is finalized yet, but it sounds like Tacx is getting closer. It’s looking like it’ll require some sort of accessory for the Neo to allow full/clean rotation of the rear axle. It’s unclear what that accessory will cost, but Tacx has other similar accessories and they aren’t too pricey. There’s also no specific timelines for this yet either, but rather only public commitments from the CEO of Wahoo Fitness and the lead engineer at Tacx.

My guess would be sometime in the spring, but we’ll see. Hopefully it’s something they’ll make backwards compatible to all Neo 1/2 units, given that’s essentially ‘free money’ to Tacx in terms of accessory upsells they wouldn’t otherwise get.

It never made sense that the climb could only be used with a wahoo trainer.

bobinski

Legendary Member
There's a review of the new Neo 2 at DCRainmaker

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/12/tacx-neo-2-smart-trainer-in-depth-review.html

Of interest is this about half way down

It never made sense that the climb could only be used with a wahoo trainer.

It will be interesting to see how they accommodate the sideways movement of the NEO.

Venod

Eh up
I hope Tacx hardware development team are better than the their software team.

Their TDA app for windows has some brilliant videos, but you have to download them first (no streaming) no Ant compatibility and as far as I am aware on compatible with Tacx trainers, the videos are some of the best available, they would make a lot more money if they were available to everybody with streaming, but they chose to use the Windows UWP platform for TDA which doesn't have a compatible Ant driver, other platforms do streaming successfully, so why can't Tacx ?

CXRAndy

Guru
It will be interesting to see how they accommodate the sideways movement of the NEO.

From memory there is a slight lean on the Neo. The Climb is a little like a 'weeble worble' it rocks around when not connected. it should cope fine.

Considering I've requested a refund from Wahoo for my Kickr. I'll look at the Tacx range with this good news appearing.

Venod

Eh up
Considering I've requested a refund from Wahoo for my Kickr. I'll look at the Tacx range with this good news appearing.

You read about a lot of problems with the Tacx Neo but I have had nearly 3 years of trouble free use and if it fails I will not hesitate buying another.

Like everything you only tend to hear about the bad ones.

CXRAndy

Guru
Im starting to understand the Neo 2 a little now in ERG mode. Its a lot looser in control if you increase or decrease cadence quickly, and lets go of control if you move too far off power.

Also reading alot in the forums suggest running on the small chainring give the Neo better control, which it did on the little test I did.

Riding in Zwift, the Neo is in simulation mode for riding across tbe boards and gravel, you can feel the bumps and noise:laugh:

Odd sensation, but seen as Im wanting as real a feel indoors, its welcome:okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
Very true, you dont feel it so much motoring along, but a steady ride, its very noticeable :smile:

martin22

CXRAndy, have you used the Neo on Bigring VR, how does it cope with slow low cadence steep climbs? Some reviews go on about it 'slipping' a bit as if it loses resistance.

Need a new trainer and torn between the Neo or a kickr

CXRAndy

Guru
CXRAndy, have you used the Neo on Bigring VR, how does it cope with slow low cadence steep climbs? Some reviews go on about it 'slipping' a bit as if it loses resistance.

Need a new trainer and torn between the Neo or a kickr

I've not used it on BigringVR, only had it a few days. Having had two Kickr 18. They are not reliable and will fail in a few weeks. Buy a Neo. Could you please link these comments about slippage

Last edited:

martin22

Do a 'find on page' search and type in slip. It's mentioned in the review and a few comments. It was mentioned in a few reviews on the Neo 1 as well, but not exactly sure in what situations it occurs.

If it's just when getting out of the saddle on a steep low cadence climb, and if it's only for a second or so that's ok, but not sure if it persists ie does it just do it once then the trainer sorts itself out, or does it happen constantly in this sort of effort.

A lot of the rides i do are the Bigring climbs rather than higher speed riding e.g. on zwift, that's why was wondering if you had tried it on Bigring and noticed any issues.

Go do some testing :bicycle:^_^

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru

Do a 'find on page' search and type in slip. It's mentioned in the review and a few comments. It was mentioned in a few reviews on the Neo 1 as well, but not exactly sure in what situations it occurs.

If it's just when getting out of the saddle on a steep low cadence climb, and if it's only for a second or so that's ok, but not sure if it persists ie does it just do it once then the trainer sorts itself out, or does it happen constantly in this sort of effort.

A lot of the rides i do are the Bigring climbs rather than higher speed riding e.g. on zwift, that's why was wondering if you had tried it on Bigring and noticed any issues.

Go do some testing :bicycle:^_^

@Breedon @berty bassett have Neo s .They also use BigringVR

berty bassett

Legendary Member
If I really try then occasionally one pedal may slip about an eighth of a turn if I am really putting in some effort - much the same as it would in real life up hill
I am no watt monster so I don’t know if it would happen to people kicking out more power but for me it very rarely happens
For me it was such a revelation coming from bkool with it slipping every time I stood up to the neo - but have never tried other direct drive machines - I would buy it again

Top Bottom