nerdy bolt question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mosschops2

Frustruck said:
Kirstie,
If you do get ti bolts, remember to put anti-sieze grease on them, else they'll fuse themselves to the frame...

Really? I didn't know that!! (no great suprise there then!)

I know Stainless Steel has the potential to "ring" (fuse to like parts eg nuts to bolts), but clearly don't know that much about Ti!!

Christopher

Über Member
Well, it's only what I've read, not owning a single bike thing made from ti, and have also read that you're supposed to use special anti-sieze grease for titanium, and that you should take all the ti bits out once a year, clean and re-grease.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Kirstie said:
You should always grease bolts anyway. Don't know specifically if Ti and Steel cold weld like Steel and Alu do

Please don't mention cold welding, it will just remind me of my poor Kaffenback stuck in the shed with a useless length of aluminium up its unmentionables... ;) I have to get that sorted out, certainly before September...

llllllll

Frustruck said:
Well, it's only what I've read, not owning a single bike thing made from ti, and have also read that you're supposed to use special anti-sieze grease for titanium, and that you should take all the ti bits out once a year, clean and re-grease.

Ideally you're supposed to use a copper slip type grease. I've never heard of having to disassemble the parts once a year though. I've got a Ti BB and it came with a small tube of copper slip, but there was no mention in the instructions of having to disassemble every year. It's been installed in my bike for a couple of years and I took the cranks off for the first time a week or two back - no problems at all. Prehaps you only have to do this if you don't use grease to assemble.

Top Bottom