Netbook

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I fancy a netbook to replace this ageing laptop, now giving me a magnificent 30 minutes on battery power.
The Samsung NC10 is quite attractive, gets good reviews and from what I can gather at the top end of the netbooks. Anyone have one or suggest an equivalent?
As I have for the last few weeks been using Ubuntu (as the hard disk died and I swapped it out with one in a usb caddy I had with me) I would prefer a something like the Samsung that comes with a version of Linux installed, thus avoiding the windows tax. Can't find anything other the the eepc type that come with it unless anyone can point me in the right direction?

Downward

Guru
I have the Aspire One 1gb 120gb HD. I am running XP lite and it's brilliant. One of the most used gadgets and my best buy of last year.
I do everything on it.

It did have Linux Linpus but I need XP to use it on my network.

A

another_dave_b

Downward said:
I have the Aspire One 1gb 120gb HD. I am running XP lite and it's brilliant. One of the most used gadgets and my best buy of last year.
I do everything on it.

It did have Linux Linpus but I need XP to use it on my network.

I've got one of these, and while I like it well enough, it seems to have a flakey wifi driver - if the machine goes to sleep, it will lose the wifi connection during the next session.

Does yours do that too, or is it just a problem with my machine?

ACS

Legendary Member
We have 4 different netbooks on trial at the moment and to be honest we have rejected all but the Samsung NC10 running XP Pro. Excellent battery life (6 hours +), the screen is slightly bigger than the others. It’s a joy to use no stability or network connection issues. The wife of my network engineer, who works as a visiting student assessor (goes out and about) at Dundee Uni, took it in with her to show her boss and they have just purchased 15 of them for the departmental staff. Excellent bit of kit, highly recommended.

Carwash

Señor Member
Downward said:
Or rather I need XP for Remote Desktop Connection.

Ah, fair enough then. Although if you want to use Linux and that's the only thing standing in your way, you could use VNC instead...

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
Oddly, I've always had issues with this laptop wifi. Always put it down to it being a fairly early model with it built-in, most came with some sort of pc card or dongle when I bought it. Never seemed to manage a connection reliably for more than an hour at a time, then it would need rebooting before I could get connected again.
Switched from xp to ubuntu 3 weeks ago and never lost the connection since. Have now been connected to the network without turning th pc off for best part of 2 weeks.

Looks like it will be the samsung then. Thanks for the recommendations. Think I will stick with ubuntu on this and xp on the nc10 and see how it goes.

jay clock

Massive member
i also have an Acer Aspire One. Running Linux. Ideal as an extra web surfing laptop, and the keyboard is a good size, Connects fine to wifi. battery life is about 2-3 hrs but I mainly use it plugged in. My sis in law has just got a Samsung NC10 with XP and loves it too.

Downward

Guru
Samsung and Aspire are similar specs - Samsung has Bluetooth though and is £50 more.

Thing I don't get with Laptops is makes - Some people will only have certain makes where as underneath the exterior they all have similar components !
Suppose its a bit like the Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda scenario

Moose

I've been looking at netbooks as well recently and am considering getting one, but having difficulty deciding if I want one with 3G or not?

muller

If you want to get online somewhere without WiFi coverage, then you'll need it! ;-)
Otherwise you probably won't. Adding a 3G dongle will cost about £50, and around £10 a month on PAYG.

Top Bottom