Netbook

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moose

muller said:
If you want to get online somewhere without WiFi coverage, then you'll need it! ;-)
Otherwise you probably won't. Adding a 3G dongle will cost about £50, and around £10 a month on PAYG.

It's OK, I think that if I buy a netbook I'll get one with it just in case

barq

I've got an Acer Aspire One so I don't know if my experience is of any interest. I wasn't mad keen on Linpus - it is perfectly functional but I prefer a Debian/Ubuntu style linux so installed the Ubuntu Netbook Remix. I bought one of those really tiny bluetooth USB sticks (i.e. so small you can leave it in permanently) for £3 (inc P&P) from ebay... Useful for my bluetooth mouse and transferring files from/to my phone or using it as a modem. I also bought a bigger battery from Amazon. The original does nearly 2.5hrs which is ok, but sometimes I need a bit more juice. My 4400mah battery does around 5hrs and there is a 6600mah version available (although it is physically quite large so I avoided it. For 3g coverage I picked up a Huawei E160G usb modem from Three. Ubuntu 8.10 immediately picks it up, with 8.04 installing Network Manager 0.7 is the easiest way to get it working.

I also seriously considered the Dell netbook, but the AA1 is a good price and has one of the larger netbook keyboards.

yello

But then I remember when there was a category of laptop called a desktop replacement. That is, larger screens and less concern with battery life.

I guess a netbook is a smaller, lighter laptop with an emphasis on network (internet) connectivity and battery life (i.e. portable connectivity) and less concern with storage space.

I'm currently using a EeePC 701 running CrunchBang linux.... a little laptop! :biggrin:

A

another_dave_b

yello said:
When does a laptop become a netbook?

As defined by Wikipedia:

A netbook is a light-weight, low-cost, energy-efficient, highly portable laptop that achieves these parameters by offering fewer features, less processing power[1] and reduced ability to run resource-intensive operating systems (e.g., Windows Vista).[1]

Suitable for web browsing, email, and general purpose applications, netbooks are targeted increasingly at users accessing web-based applications (also known as Cloud computing) — which require a less powerful client computer.[2]

Or, a small, wimpy computer, fine for web browsing, word processing, emailing. Not much use for gaming, photo editing, etc.

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
I'd like to think of it as how fat you could comfortably carry one with one hand
Netbook - anywhere
Laptop - reasonable distance, eg. around an airport
desktop replacement - other side of the room

barq

Downward said:
How much was the Higher Capicity Battery ?

I have seen them for £50 which is just about 1/4 of the cost of the Netbook

I think £50 is for the very big battery. Mine was £35 (I think). But it was some months before I bought it. We all have different power needs. In my case portability is paramount, if I need 6hrs plus I have my big laptop. The large battery just gives me a middle option, but normally I use the standard one.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I am writing this on an Acer Aspire One, and have been running my blog and Internet journal off it - it is a little work of genius which cost me less than £190. It is entirely Linux-based with open-source software (no Microsoft bloatware), and I have already downloaded and installed loads of useful stuff. I can transfer photos directly from my digital camera to the computer via its SD card slots. Although the mousepad is slightly annoying, he keyboard is fine for touch-typing if you are used to little iBooks and have small hands. And it weighs nothing. I am wondering how I managed without it.

Top Bottom