Netflix: Stranger Things. But this isn't right.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone else watched/watching Stranger Things on Netflix. It seems to channel Spielberg and King, with nods to Stand By Me, Goonies etc in style

It's set in the 1980s...
Is that an aheadset? Shocking. Spoiled the whole vibe, they might as well ditch the brick walkie talkies and get their iphones out!!

Or am I letting it get to me a bit too much :blush:

stranger.jpg

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Wasn't aware of this tv series, will now add it to my TBW netflix list.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Only seen the frst ep but looks really good so far, it definately channels the E.T. feel in the same way Super 8 did. I grew up in the 80s so the nostalgia factor is high with this one.

The Aheadset was patented about 30 years ago. I kinda know that because the patent expired about3 or 4 years ago and it can only be taken out for 25 years. That dates it to about mid 1980s.
But, keep it up. We must keep these directors on their toes. If only now we can get rid of the vintage and aged-looking props in modern 1950s movies. Surely the things should look new, not old?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
If only now we can get rid of the vintage and aged-looking props in modern 1950s movies. Surely the things should look new, not old?
There's an interview somewhere with one of the props/design people from Mad Men - one of the things I think I remember them mentioning was that they intentionally put in aged items, feeling that it was a time where people were less likely to have thrown something old (but functional) away. It's particularly noticeable in the scenes in Don's home, apparently, at least in the early seasons (I only got to S4).

There's an interview somewhere with one of the props/design people from Mad Men - one of the things I think I remember them mentioning was that they intentionally put in aged items, feeling that it was a time where people were less likely to have thrown something old (but functional) away. It's particularly noticeable in the scenes in Don's home, apparently, at least in the early seasons (I only got to S4).
Hmmmm. I think it has to do with the fact that 70 year old props now look 70 years old. I understand that homes have things in them dating from previous eras but not everything. After all, we were just as much in search of the latest and greatest in 1950 as now.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Hmmmm. I think it has to do with the fact that 70 year old props now look 70 years old. I understand that homes have things in them dating from previous eras but not everything. After all, we were just as much in search of the latest and greatest in 1950 as now.
It is quite possible that they were making a virtue out of a necessity, of course :smile:

Top Bottom